Opposition lawmaker-elect Lim Kim-Ya filed charges with Phnom Penh Municipal Court yesterday morning against a government official he claims led an attack on a peaceful crowd at Freedom Park last Monday.
Ket Khy, a Cambodia National Rescue Party lawyer, told the Post that Kim-Ya was seeking financial compensation for the attack, which he claims was ordered by Daun Penh District Deputy Governor Sok Penh Vuth. Kim-Ya was struck around the face during the violence.
“I filed the complaint for [Kim-Ya], who accuses Sok Penh Vuth and his accomplices, the blue uniformed men, of using violence on him,” he said, referring to Daun Penh district security guards. “He also demands $10,000 in compensation.”
If the court proceeds with the case, the requested charges of intentional violence under aggravating circumstances could carry a maximum sentence of five years in prison.
Four other alleged victims also met with Khy yesterday and are preparing to file their own complaints in the next couple of days, he said.
Penh Vuth could not be reached for comment.
Kim-Ya was at the scene in support of fellow CNRP member Mu Sochua, who has been on a campaign to enter the park, which remains off limits to protesters, since the beginning of the month.
Sochua, who had vowed to file her own charges, said yesterday that she is “waiting for authorisation from senior members” of the CNRP.
After first discussing the situation with Khy, Sochua met with European Union Ambassador Jean-Francois Cautain.
“I showed him footage of [last week’s] beatings . . . I told him it was systematic and planned ahead of time,” she said. “He was very receptive.”
Sochua and Kim-Ya then went back to Freedom Park where they remained for about 12 minutes.
Despite a large security presence, “no police even came near us”, Sochua said.
City Hall spokesman Long Dimanche also could not be reached for comment.
Sochua plans to return to Freedom Park on Wednesday.