Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - CNRP pegs 424 voter names as ‘suspicious’



CNRP pegs 424 voter names as ‘suspicious’

An official registers a voter’s information and identity to a digital database earlier this month in Phnom Penh.
An official registers a voter’s information and identity to a digital database earlier this month in Phnom Penh. Heng Chivoan

CNRP pegs 424 voter names as ‘suspicious’

The Cambodia National Rescue Party plans to ask the National Election Committee to investigate the citizenship status of more than 400 people who have recently logged their names in the new digital voter lists.

Speaking at CNRP HQ last week, senior lawmaker Eng Chhay Eang said the party had noted the names of the “foreigners”, which he said were “mostly Vietnamese”, and would file a complaint once the NEC releases its preliminary voter list.

Reached yesterday, the party’s head of election monitoring Meng Sopheary said its monitors – posted to registration offices across the country – had identified 424 suspicious registrations by assessing names and registrants’ Khmer-language proficiency.

“Our agents noticed that those people speak little Khmer, some don’t speak Khmer and some names did not sound Khmer,” Sopheary said, though acknowledging such findings did not necessarily mean they were not citizens. “We just suspect and note down their names.”

The party has long drawn criticism for alleged race baiting to rouse popular support. Election Day in 2013 was marred by scenes of opposition supporters blocking voters they accused of being Vietnamese. However, the party denies charges of racism, saying it wants to ensure the law on citizenship is respected.

NEC spokesman Hang Puthea said the body would work with the Ministry of Interior to investigate any irregularities brought to its attention.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting

  • Ministry names types of business permitted amid lockdown

    The Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training singled out 11 types of business that are permitted to operate during the lockdown of Phnom Penh and Takmao town, which run through April 28. Those include (1) food-processing enterprises and slaughterhouses; (2) providers of public services such as firefighting, utility and