Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Cockfighting raid nets seven men

Cockfighting raid nets seven men

Cockfighting raid nets seven men

SEVEN men in Phnom Penh were released yesterday after being held for 48 hours following a raid on an illegal cockfighting ring in Dangkor district, police said.

Born Sam Ath, the district police chief, said a total of 16 cocks, including two dead ones, were confiscated at the site of the raid in Dangkor’s Kakab commune.

During their detention, he said, the seven men were made to cut grass around the police station and clean offices.

Though cockfighting constitutes a violation of the Law on the Suppression of Gambling, Born Sam Ath said the men were not fined or sent to court “because the operation was small-scale”.

“But if they do not respect their promise to stop the cockfights, we will send them to court,” he said.

More than a year ago, Prime Minister Hun Sen publicly denounced all forms of gambling, and drew attention to cockfighting in particular, calling on Deputy Prime Minister Sok An to close his cockfighting arena in Takeo province.

“I am announcing today the closure of all cockfighting arenas including the cockfighting arena of Sok An in the Bati district of Takeo. It must close – it is absolutely obvious,” Hun Sen said in a March 2009 speech.

Song Ly, chief of the Municipal Police Minor Crimes Bureau, said the premier’s remarks had pushed cockfighting underground. “Only a small number of people are still fighting cocks, and they’re doing it secretly,” he said.

Choup Sok Heng, Dangkor district deputy police chief, said police would remain vigilant in cracking down on such activity.

“We will not allow this game to happen in our district,” he said. “We will crack down on them, because gambling, drugs, gangs and robbery cause people in the villages and communes to feel unsafe.”

MOST VIEWED

  • Negotiations on EBA being held

    In an effort to defuse tensions, a senior government official said Cambodia is negotiating with the European Union (EU) on the Everything But Arms (EBA) trade deal, which allows the Kingdom to export goods to the 28-member bloc tariff-free. The EU notified Cambodia on October 5

  • Ministers to tackle sea pollutants

    Preah Sihanouk provincial authorities and members of local communities have collected 77 tonnes of water hyacinth at a Sihanoukville beach, Preah Sihanouk Provincial Hall spokesperson Or Saroeun said. He told The Post yesterday that the aquatic weeds had been floating along some of the province’s

  • Chinese police escort deported scam suspects

    Ninety-one Chinese nationals accused of extorting money from victims in a Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) scam were deported from Phnom Penh International Airport on Monday under the escort of 182 Chinese police personnel. General Department of Immigration head of investigations Ouk Hay Seila told reporters

  • EU officials: Ending EBA an 18-month procedure

    EU officials have confirmed that it will take a total of 18 months to complete the procedure if Cambodia’s preferential Everything But Arms (EBA) trade agreement is to be withdrawn. According to EU Agriculture and Rural Development spokesman Daniel Rosario, the formal process has not