Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Commander escapes land-grabbing charges

Commander escapes land-grabbing charges

Commander escapes land-grabbing charges

After about seven months in pre-trial detention, former tank commander Ma Sobin walked free on Friday when the Supreme Court dropped land infraction and forgery charges laid on him by the Banteay Meanchey Provincial Court.

Sobin, also known as Sok Ma, had been accused by his neighbour Va Roeun of encroaching on his land and forging ownership documents.

Last month, Roeun dropped his official complaint against Sobin after the defendant paid him 20,000 baht ($671) in an out-of-court settlement.

Presiding judge Khim Pon said the court had determined that there was now insufficient evidence to convict Sobin and, after a bail hearing on May 3, had also decided that the charges against him were of a civil nature.   

“Based on the hearing, the Supreme Court has found that this case was a civil one, and there was not enough proof to charge Ma Sobin as accused. What’s more, the plaintiff had already withdrawn his lawsuit,” Pon said.  

Sok Sam Oeun, head of the Cambodian Defenders Project, said that while he was not familiar with the specific case, charges under the Land Law – such as these – are typically both civil and criminal.

Pon added that Sobin had been arrested last November when his neighbour, Roeun, accused him of encroaching onto a 60-metre-by-200-metre section of his land.

Afterwards, Pon said, authorities discovered that Sobin had been “faking letters in public documents” in 2010 to establish ownership of the land.

Sobin had previously submitted, and been denied, bail requests to the provincial and appellate courts, Pon noted.

Roeun and his attorney could not be reached for comment yesterday.

Sobin, likewise, could not be reached, but his lawyer, Ou Vuth, said the court’s decision had been “made with common sense and transparency”.

Regarding the accusations against his client, Vuth said that Sobin had bought the land and cultivated rice on it since 2001 without knowing that it “overlapped” the plaintiff’s plot.

Additional reporting by Stuart White

MOST VIEWED

  • Angkor Wat named as the top landmark for the second year

    Travel website TripAdvisor has named Cambodia’s ancient wonder Angkor Wat as the top landmark in the world for the second year running in their Travelers’ Choice Award 2018, an achievement Cambodian tourism operators expect will attract more tourists to the Kingdom. The website uses traveller

  • New US bill ‘is a violation of Cambodian independence’

    After a US congressmen introduced bipartisan legislation that will enact sanctions on Cambodian officials responsible for “undermining democracy” in the Kingdom, government officials and the ruling Cambodian People’s Party on Sunday said they regarded the potential action as the “violation of independence and sovereignty

  • Hun Sen detractors ‘will die’

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Wednesday said those who curse or insult him would eventually die without a plot of land to bury their bodies after being killed by lightning, suffering the same fate as those who recently died in Thmar Baing district in Koh

  • Ministry’s plan for net sparks fears

    The government has ordered all domestic and international internet traffic in the Kingdom to pass through a Data Management Centre (DMC) that has been newly created by the state-owned Telecom Cambodia, in a move some have claimed is an attempt to censor government critics. Spokesman