Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Committee on factory faintings convenes for first time




Committee on factory faintings convenes for first time

Minister of Labour Ith Samheng speaks at a meeting of the newly established committee on mass fainting earlier today.
Minister of Labour Ith Samheng speaks at a meeting with a newly established committee on mass faintings earlier today. Hong Menea

Committee on factory faintings convenes for first time

A new committee to prevent mass faintings met today for the first time, just a week after Prime Minister Hun Sen expressed concern about an increase in the number of such incidents in the garment industry.

The committee today released its three-year statistics on mass faintings, which show that after a drop in 2016 the number of workplace faintings shot back up last year, to 1,603 in 22 factories. From the start of this year until February 11, 342 workers have fainted in two factories.

Speaking to the press after today’s meeting, Labour Minister Ith Sam Heng said the committee “follows the recommendation of Samdech Prime Minister Hun Sen” and had assigned all relevant ministries to work together to prevent mass fainting.

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Click to enlarge.

He explained that the committee consisted of 40 members, with himself as president, and deputy presidents from both the private sector and unions. Among the rest of the committee are officials from other ministries, including health, land management and agriculture.

“This committee is responsible for seeking a strategy to prevent mass fainting and decrease it,” he said.

According to Sam Heng, researchers have found that mass faintings are related to a handful of factors, including chemical, physical – such as sound, temperature and air quality – psychological, mechanical and biological.

He said the Labour Ministry and Health Ministry would issue a joint prakas to set out a strategy, provide training and conduct more research, and to increase the number of labour inspections at the workplace.

Bent Gehrt, Southeast Asia Field Director of Workers Right Consortium, welcomed the creation of the committee to address the root causes of fainting.

“Hopefully the committee will work out some real solutions to these fainting incidences,” he said.

MOST VIEWED

  • WHO: antibiotics cause more deaths

    Increased antibiotics use in combating the Covid-19 pandemic will strengthen bacterial resistance and ultimately lead to more deaths during the crisis and beyond, the World Health Organisation (WHO) said on Monday. WHO director-general Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said a “worrying number” of bacterial infections were becoming

  • Children in poverty said to rise by 86M

    The UN Children’s Fund (UNICEF) and Save the Children warned that if urgent measures are not taken, the number of children living in poverty across low- and middle-income countries could increase by 86 million, a 15 per cent jump, by the end of the year. In

  • PM slams HRW ‘double standards’

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has chided Human Rights Watch (HRW) Asia director Brad Adams for keeping quiet over protest crackdowns in the US following the death of George Floyd in Minneapolis on May 25. Addressing reporters while inspecting infrastructure development in Preah Sihanouk province on Monday,

  • Four more UN troops infected by Covid virus

    Four more Cambodian Blue Helmet peacekeepers in Mali have been diagnosed with the novel coronavirus, bringing the number of infected Cambodian UN peacekeepers to 10. National Centre for Peacekeeping Forces and Explosive Remnants of War deputy director-general and spokeswoman Kosal Malinda told The Post on Tuesday

  • Huge tracks of undocumented land a concern for registration officials

    Siem Reap provincial deputy governor Ly Samrith expressed concern that land registration plans for residents scheduled to be completed by late 2021 could not be achieved because 80 per cent of the land had not been registered. Land dispute issues are a major factor that poses a

  • Bank robber of $6M asks to be released

    An accused bank robber who admitted to stealing $6 million has asked the Supreme Court to release him temporarily because he had returned the money. In a court hearing on Tuesday Chan Simuntha, 39, told the judge that on January 18, his wife Teang Vathanaknearyroth told him that