Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Concerns renewed: Family of acid attack victim fears reprisal

Concerns renewed: Family of acid attack victim fears reprisal

Concerns renewed: Family of acid attack victim fears reprisal

The family of a pregnant woman doused by acid fear they could be targeted again after the parents of their alleged attackers were released from custody.

Luy Sovannaroth, whose wife and 2-year-old daughter were injured in the attack last month, said he was concerned for his family’s safety after Nhe Deng, 56, and his wife Seng Kim Leng, 55, were let go by police in Takeo province’s Kiri Vong district.

Deng and Leng were held overnight last Wednesday in connection to the attack at Tun-lob market, allegedly carried out by their children – Beng Meas, 28, and, Beng Leakhena, 22 – who have reportedly fled to Vietnam.

Tin Sochetra, provincial deputy prosecutor at the Takeo provincial court, said Deng and Leng had been questioned and released, but the investigation was ongoing. According to police, Meas attacked Sovannaroth before Leakhena threw acid at his wife, Moung Srey Mom, 31, who was feeding their 2-year-old daughter.

MOST VIEWED

  • Virus tops 84 with new cases in S’ville

    The Ministry of Health on Sunday night confirmed another 31 cases of coronavirus infections, bringing the Kingdom’s total to 84 and it highest daily tally. There have been no fatalities thus far. The latest cases were found in 29 French tourists and their two Cambodian tour guides

  • Mysterious century-old structure found at bottom of Angkor pond

    The Apsara National Authority (ANA) has discovered a mysterious 1,000-year-old structure of a wooden building at the bottom of a pond after the Angkor Wat temple’s conservation team completed restoring its northern cave. The deputy director at ANA’s Angkor International Research and Documentation

  • NBC calls for cashless payments

    The National Bank of Cambodia (NBC) has urged government ministries, financial institutions and the public to conduct cashless payments via electronic systems where possible to combat the spread of Covid-19. “To contribute to the prevention of Covid-19, the National Bank of Cambodia encourages financial institutions

  • Ministry calls for home schooling

    Minister of Education, Youth and Sport, Hang Chuon Naron appealed to parents of students to provide home education in a proper environment and help them obtain more learning materials. The ministry also allowed schools to take a premature vacation after several people tested positive for

  • Cellcard announces Cambodia’s first use of 5G to help Kingdom during Covid-19

    Cellcard on Friday announced Cambodia’s first use of 5G for a telemedicine service at four locations across Phnom Penh to help the Kingdom’s most critically ill during the Covid-19 outbreak. Cellcard, which is the only 100 per cent Cambodian-owned and "Proudly Khmer" mobile network

  • Officials examine timber company for irregularities

    After winning the rights to transfer large shipments of timber from Mondulkiri province to the rest of Cambodia, Try Pheap Import Export Co Ltd is being examined by 10 officials to ensure there are no irregularities in its operation, Mondulkiri provincial forestry administration director Um Van