Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Condom crackdown continues

Condom crackdown continues

Condom crackdown continues

100125_05
A street-side setup offers a variety of condoms, erectile dysfunction pharmaceuticals and topical sex balms on Street 70 across from the Old Stadium on Sunday.

PRAMPI Makara district and municipal health officials said Sunday that they had renewed their crackdown on market vendors selling condoms and sexual-enhancement drugs.

District governor Soam Sovann said four vendors were briefly detained during a raid in his district on Friday, and that police confiscated hundreds of condoms and sexual-enhancement drugs. Though he noted that neither the condoms nor the drugs were illegal, he said the vendors had been “re-educated” by health officials about the dangers of selling the condoms, many of which were past their date of expiry, and the drugs, which they said should be prescribed by doctors.

“These vendors have signed contracts in front of us that say they will stop doing this kind of business,” Soam Sovann said.

Municipal health department director Sok Sokun said 37 such raids had been conducted since November 2008.

MOST VIEWED

  • Negotiations on EBA being held

    In an effort to defuse tensions, a senior government official said Cambodia is negotiating with the European Union (EU) on the Everything But Arms (EBA) trade deal, which allows the Kingdom to export goods to the 28-member bloc tariff-free. The EU notified Cambodia on October 5

  • Ministers to tackle sea pollutants

    Preah Sihanouk provincial authorities and members of local communities have collected 77 tonnes of water hyacinth at a Sihanoukville beach, Preah Sihanouk Provincial Hall spokesperson Or Saroeun said. He told The Post yesterday that the aquatic weeds had been floating along some of the province’s

  • Chinese police escort deported scam suspects

    Ninety-one Chinese nationals accused of extorting money from victims in a Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) scam were deported from Phnom Penh International Airport on Monday under the escort of 182 Chinese police personnel. General Department of Immigration head of investigations Ouk Hay Seila told reporters

  • EU officials: Ending EBA an 18-month procedure

    EU officials have confirmed that it will take a total of 18 months to complete the procedure if Cambodia’s preferential Everything But Arms (EBA) trade agreement is to be withdrawn. According to EU Agriculture and Rural Development spokesman Daniel Rosario, the formal process has not