Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Confusion on whom to pin the blame



Confusion on whom to pin the blame

Confusion on whom to pin the blame

PROVINCIAL police chief Soth Nady has shouldered the

blame for not protecting Second Prime Minister Hun Sen

from a purported assassination attempt.

"I was careless in my competence," Nady told

the Post Sept 28. "We didn't pay attention to the

safety of that place," he said, talking about the

rocket site just a few hundreds meters from the turn-off

into Siem Reap town, on a busy road from both hotels

where all party MPs were staying. The road leads into the

garden area between the Palace and the Grand Hotel.

"We only paid attention to the important

areas," he said.

Ministry of Interior official Khieu Sopheak said the

police were not careless. "For this attempt, even if

[the terrorists] were successful or not, they will always

take this opportunity."

Two notes, written in green marker pen, were found

wrapped inside a black-taped detonation devise, wired

some meters away from the bush where the rockets were

hidden. "The King Bee killers are going to kill all

dictator leaders," read one note. "This is the

end of the dictators," said the other. Nady said the

terrorists thought their attempt succeeded 100%. But

[these notes] are a clue for us to capture them".

Eight men were questioned by police soon after the

incident "but since they were not involved we

released them all," said justice police deputy

chief, Tan Chay.

Government spokesman Khieu Kanarith said neither the CPP

nor the government had accused any opposition leaders

yet.

However, Prime Minister-elect Hun Sen said: "I feel

that if Hun Sen was killed, the leaders of the opposition

would be killed soon [too] becasue the experts noted that

the act was carried out by the opposition."

Hun Sen said neither O'Smach nor Khmer Rouge troops could

have made the attempt, although Nady had told the Post

that there had been unsubstantiated rumors that men from

both rebel groups had infiltrated into Siem Reap in weeks

past.

"The network that carried out this activity are

those who carried out [similar ones] during the electoral

campaign," Hun Sen said.

"If, this morning, I died, it [would have] meant

that the Assembly's session would be cancelled and

similtaneous fighting would have happened," Hun Sen

said. He added he would give $200,000 to the terrorists

who laid the bombs, just to find out from them who was

behind it.

Some witnesses immediately after the event said they saw

four or five vehicles pass in the first convoy, then

suddenly the sound of an explosion.

Witness Sok Khom, 39, said that a handful of policemen

had been deployed "in that place", pointing to

the bush where the rockets had been rigged. She added the

policemen had left the area around dusk, the night before

the attack.

Mean Sarun, deputy chief of demining group CMAC, in Siem

Reap, said "these bombs were planted last

night".

No witnesses could be found to definitively say which car

was nearest the blast.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year