Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Conservationists warn government of encroachment




Conservationists warn government of encroachment

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Environment Minister Sam Al Am chairs meeting yesterday in Phnom Penh. Facebook

Conservationists warn government of encroachment

Conservation NGOs yesterday raised the issue of alleged land grabs in the country’s protected areas by the military and local authorities at a resources protection forum, asking Environment Minister Say Sam Al to intervene.

Jonathan Charles Eames, senior technical adviser at BirdLife International, raised the issue of alleged land grabbing by the army in protected areas. “This is an ongoing problem in a number of places across the country,” including at the Siem Pang Wildlife Sanctuary in Stung Treng province, he said.

Eames asked for better cooperation among all ministries to ensure that the laws are enforced but could not be reached for elaboration after the meeting. Other BirdLife officials either could not be reached or declined to comment.

Sam Al said the issue may have arisen from confusion stemming from recent border tensions with Laos, which required the army to be on standby in the area. Major General Svay Nhorn, Stung Treng provincial military commander, denied the alleged land grabbing.

At the forum, Suwanna Gauntlett, executive director of Wildlife Alliance, reminded Sam Al that more than 600 hectares of the protected Southern Cardamom National Park in Koh Kong have been illegally cleared since 2013 by local officials, but no case has been sent to court.

Sam Al said he had filed a report to the Interior Ministry.

MOST VIEWED

  • PM: West unfair to Cambodia

    Prime Minister Hun Sen released a message celebrating the International Day of Peace on Monday, saying that some major powers and western countries had been systemically cooperating to put political pressure on Cambodia as they did in the 1970s and 1980s. Hun Sen said pressuring

  • First ‘mobile kitchen’ in Cambodia enters service

    A catering company recently rolled out Cambodia’s first “mobile kitchen” – a $50,000 container capable of serving up to 200 people at a time. The kitchen is the brainchild of Seng Hok Heng Catering Services. At 4.4m-high, 6.8m-long and 2.4m-wide (expandable to 6.8m), the kitchen is equipped

  • Kingdom, China rebut basis for US sanctions

    The Council for the Development of Cambodia, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation, and Tianjin Union Investment Development Group Co Ltd (Tianjin) have responded to US sanctions on Union Development Group Co Ltd (UDG), a Chinese-owned company currently developing the sprawling $3.8 billion Dara

  • Influenza breaks out in eight provinces

    Nearly 600 people have been infected with influenza in eight provinces in the past month, Ministry of Health spokesperson Or Vandine said. The ministry is advising extreme caution. A report released by Vandine on Saturday said the Ministry of Health observed transmissions of influenza between August 15

  • CNRP activist freed; Sam Rainsy pledges return to Kingdom

    The Phnom Penh Municipal Court on Monday released former CNRP activist Oeur Narith on bail after the court ended its questioning on suspicion of receiving money from abroad and plotting to overthrow the government, according to the authorities. National Police spokesman Chhay Kim Khoeun confirmed

  • Hun Sen says developing nations ‘targets of rivalry’

    Prime Minister Hun Sen spoke at the virtual UN General Assembly on Monday, saying that developing nations often become targets of punishment for their imperfections when they don’t rise to the standards of developed countries. He said rivalries between superpowers often hamper developing countries’