Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Construction of Takeo footwear factory halted



Construction of Takeo footwear factory halted

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
The Takeo provincial authorities on Tuesday halted the construction of a Chinese-owned footwear factory. Police

Construction of Takeo footwear factory halted

The Takeo provincial authorities on Tuesday halted the construction of a Chinese-owned footwear factory, which consisted of four buildings, in Bati district’s Komar Reachea commune for lack of a permit.

Provincial governor Ouch Phea told The Post on Wednesday that the authorities also confiscated construction equipment including a cement truck.

“This serves to enforce the laws and follows [the government’s] directives. We require the construction owner to obtain construction permits first,” he said.

Bati district governor Phuon Chhim said the authorities had warned the construction owners before the halt.

“Previously, we ordered them to delay their construction project a while and to apply for permits before construction could resume. We asked them two times, but they did not comply, prompting the authorities to take action by confiscating their construction equipment as a warning,” he said.

Chhim said representatives of the company that oversaw the construction project, Alpha Property Construction, have been ordered to appear for questioning on Thursday.

Chhim said he had also received an order from the provincial governor to halt other unauthorised construction projects in the district.

The ministries of Interior, and Land Management, Urban Planning and Construction, have instructed all municipal and provincial governors to increase inspections of construction projects throughout the Kingdom.

The order came after the ministries found that some firms had carried out construction projects without prior permits.

The governors have also been ordered to take strict legal action against construction companies that operate without a licence from the Ministry of Land Management, Urban Planning and Construction and property owners who start construction without permits from competent authorities.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Ministry names types of business permitted amid lockdown

    The Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training singled out 11 types of business that are permitted to operate during the lockdown of Phnom Penh and Takmao town, which run through April 28. Those include (1) food-processing enterprises and slaughterhouses; (2) providers of public services such as firefighting, utility and

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting