Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Consult quickly: Door closing on Laos dam input period

Consult quickly: Door closing on Laos dam input period

Consult quickly: Door closing on Laos dam input period

Very quietly, with no official public announcement, the intergovernmental assessment process for Laos’s contentious Don Sahong dam is almost over before anyone knew it began.

In June, Laos conceded to its downstream neighbours and allowed the 260-megawatt project to undergo a six-month consultation period. Last week, during a meeting in Phnom Penh, the Mekong River Commission declared the process had started on July 25.

“The announcement, or rather lack of announcement, of a start date for the prior consultation process, which is more than two months past, illustrates just how backwards the process is,” said Ame Trandem, International Rivers’ Southeast Asia director.

Laos has been accused by its neighbours of using the regional consultation as a facade for cooperation rather than genuine regional debate and study over its mainstream dams.

The Cambodian National Mekong Committee yesterday said long-requested transboundary impact studies for Don Sahong are scheduled for completion by the end of the year.

MOST VIEWED

  • Mysterious century-old structure found at bottom of Angkor pond

    The Apsara National Authority (ANA) has discovered a mysterious 1,000-year-old structure of a wooden building at the bottom of a pond after the Angkor Wat temple’s conservation team completed restoring its northern cave. The deputy director at ANA’s Angkor International Research and Documentation

  • Stranded passengers petition UK for help

    Some 10,521 foreigners in Cambodia, the bulk being from the UK, have signed an online petition calling on British Prime Minister Boris Johnson and relevant officials to fly them out of the Kingdom. The petition is targeted at 15,000 foreigners. Among them are nearly 200 Europeans, the majority

  • Cellcard announces Cambodia’s first use of 5G to help Kingdom during Covid-19

    Cellcard on Friday announced Cambodia’s first use of 5G for a telemedicine service at four locations across Phnom Penh to help the Kingdom’s most critically ill during the Covid-19 outbreak. Cellcard, which is the only 100 per cent Cambodian-owned and "Proudly Khmer" mobile network

  • Health ministry warns against using virus-testing machines

    The Ministry of Health has threatened legal action against anyone who publicised their test results after using COVID-19 rapid testing machines. The ministry said such machines were not even approved or recognised for use by the World Health Organisation (WHO). It said test the results

  • Former CNRP activist nabbed for offering online English classes

    Authorities detained a high school teacher in Kampong Chhnang province on Thursday after he was caught conducting online classes despite the fact that schools had been ordered to close temporarily to prevent Covid-19 infections. Keo Thai teaches at Boribo High School in Kampong Chhnang and

  • National Assembly approves two coal-fired power plants

    The National Assembly (NA) unanimously approved draft laws paving the way for the construction of two coal-fired power plants worth $1.665 billion to supply 100 per cent of electricity required in the Kingdom by 2025. An NA member said at the session that the plants will be located