Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Convictions in candidate killing fail to satisfy groups

Convictions in candidate killing fail to satisfy groups

Convictions in candidate killing fail to satisfy groups

The Kampong Som provincial court October 12 found the prime accused, Saing Rin, guilty

of killing "with planning" local Sam Rainsy Party (SRP) commune council

candidate Uch Horn and sentenced him to 15 years imprisonment. His accomplice, Ter

Vann Chhum, was sentenced to 14 years for abetting the June 30 murder by providing

Rin with an AK-47 assault rifle.

While the verdict was welcomed for bringing the killers to justice, human rights

organizations were annoyed at what they termed an incomplete investigation. The court

glossed over allegations of a political motive and upheld the argument of both the

accused and local authorities that Horn was murdered "because he was a sorcerer...and

practiced black magic."

The UN Human Rights Office in Cambodia termed the undertaking of the trial as a positive

step, but expressed concern that the investigation was not sufficiently thorough,

saying that the court should have looked more seriously into the possibility of a

political motive.

"It is important that ongoing and future investigations be undertaken thoroughly

and with an open mind, to strengthen public confidence in the process leading to

the elections," a senior officer said.

Accusations of sorcery have become a convenient motive ascribed to almost all attacks

on political candidates belonging to Funcinpec and SRP. A thorough investigation

into the cases, including the possibility of political jealousy or vendetta, human

rights workers said, would make justice more effective.

Yi Kosal Vathanak, human rights monitoring officer at Adhoc, said the trial did not

contribute to preventing political killings, the prime concern amidst increasing

political tensions in the run up to commune elections. He said that although tough

sentences had been handed down by the court in last year's killing of a Funcinpec

candidate in Kampot, that had proved no barrier to more politically-linked violence.

"Cambodian law already stipulates stringent punishment for murder, whatever

the motive. The message we need to convey right now is that political violence of

any kind will not be tolerated," he said.

Referring to the trial proceedings, Vathanak said the accused had named their village

chief as an accessory in the plan to kill Horn. Despite the fact that the chief had

held two meetings at his house in which the plan was discussed, he was not summonsed

by the court for questioning.

Kek Galabru, founding president of Licadho, also hoped the "real" perpetrators

of the crime would be brought to justice.

"[Saing Rin] was just the executor [of the crime], not the planner. There was

someone else who gave the orders, and I sincerely hope that the competent authorities

will further investigate the link."

Uch Horn, SRP's commune council candidate for Baset commune, was shot seven times

while bathing near his house on June 30. The 35-year-old accused Saing Rin, who had

been held in custody since July 5, confessed he had killed Horn.

"He was a sorcerer. He killed two of my family members with his black magic.

I shot five or six bullets in him from five or six meters away and the bullets hit

his body," Rin testified during the trial. He also claimed that villagers had

held a meeting ten days before the killing accusing Horn of sorcery.

The Human Rights Action Committee, an umbrella organization of 18 local human

rights NGOs, maintained the killing was politically motivated. It based its assertion

on a complaint made by the victim one week before he was killed that he feared his

life was in danger due his political activities.

MOST VIEWED

  • Restrictions re-imposed in capital as Covid cases surge

    Amid the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has shown no sign of subsiding with 750 infections and 10 deaths reported on June 2 alone, the Phnom Penh Municipal Administration has decided to re-impose the suspension of all occupations and business activities deemed as posing high risk of

  • Phnom Penh-Sihanoukville expressway 51% complete

    The construction of the nearly $2 billion Phnom Penh-Sihanoukville Expressway is 51.35 per cent complete and is expected to be finished in 2023, according to Ministry of Public Works and Transport secretary of state Vasim Sorya. Invested in by Cambodian PPSHV Expressway Co Ltd, the first expressway in

  • With herd immunity likely in 2022, is Cambodia ready to reopen for tourism?

    The government aims to inoculate 80 per cent of the target population by June next year, giving it a head start among regional peers to reboot the sector but first, it has to do a few things to up its game A sign on a glass

  • First 7-Eleven store to open mid-June, ambassador says

    Thai retail conglomerate CP All Pcl will open Cambodia’s first 7-Eleven convenience store in mid-June, Cambodian ambassador to Thailand Ouk Sorphorn told The Post on June 1. The Bangkok-listed 7-Eleven franchise operator, the retail arm of Charoen Pokphand Group Co Ltd, granted CP All (Cambodia)

  • US wants 'full access' to Ream Naval Base

    On June 11, the US embassy's Defense Attaché Colonel Marcus M Ferrara visited Ream Nava Base in coordination with Cambodian officials following the recent approval of Prime minister Hun Sen to allay the concerns on Chinese military presence at the base as raised by US Deputy

  • US embassy guard gets Covid despite two doses of Pfizer jab

    The Covid-19 tracking commission on June 4 said a security guard at the US embassy in Phnom Penh had contracted the novel coronavirus, despite having received a second dose of the Pfizer-BioNTech shot two weeks ago. Embassy spokesperson Chad Roedemeier confirmed the SARS-CoV-2 infection to The