Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Cooking videos land couple in hot water

Cooking videos land couple in hot water

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Phoun Raty (left) and Chan Polin answer press questions at the Environment Ministry on Thursday. Hong Menea

Cooking videos land couple in hot water

The Ministry of Environment has said it will act against those who produce cooking videos where rare wildlife was the mainstay of the dishes.

The matter came to light when such videos, which were posted on YouTube as an income stream, were criticised on social media.

Chea Sam Arng, head of the Environment Ministry’s General Directorate for Administration of Nature Conservation and Protection, said the ministry received information about the videos on Wednesday.

Those responsible for the videos went to the ministry on Thursday afternoon to admit their involvement.

“We are now in the process of taking legal action against them while the working group is preparing a report on the matter.

“The animals that were cooked were mostly not on the endangered list, but are protected. Only one species was in danger of extinction,” he said.

Phoun Raty, who attended the ministry-convened press conference on the matter, said he and his wife bought the meat and started producing their cooking videos in December last year. The videos were posted on YouTube last month.

“Actually, all I wanted to do was earn a living from the videos. I apologise to the public. I realise now in doing what we did, we actually contributed to destroying our wild life. I had no intention of doing this.

“Besides, the animals were already dead. Also, we only earned $500 for producing the videos and even then, we have not yet been paid,” he said.

Chan Polin, Raty’s wife, said: “I don’t even know what kind of animals or birds we used or their impact on wildlife conservation.

“I bought the wildlife at Preak Phnov and we started filming our videos since December. Now I have already admitted my mistake,” she said.

Sam Arng said the ministry was conducting probes into where the wildlife was purchased. “As of now we don’t know where the sellers sourced the wildlife from. We will continue investigations,” he said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Rainsy will return at ‘favourable time’

    Opposition figure Sam Rainsy on Saturday suggested he would not return to Cambodia as he had previously promised, saying that like liberators King Father Norodom Sihanouk and Charles de Gaulle, he would only do so at a “favourable time”. “I will go back to Cambodia

  • Temi tourism project approved by the CDC

    The $500.4 million Tourism, Ecological, Marine and International (Temi) tourism project has been approved by the Council for the Development of Cambodia (CDC), according to a notice on its Facebook page on Monday. The project is part of Chinese-owned Union City Development Group Co Ltd’s (

  • US Embassy urged to stop ‘disrespecting sovereignty’

    The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation called on the US Embassy in Phnom Penh on Saturday to respect the Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations after it called former opposition leader Kem Sokha “an innocent man” – a move deemed to be “disrespecting Cambodia’s

  • NagaWorld casino sees net profit of more than $390M last year

    Phnom Penh’s NagaWorld casino posted a 53 per cent net profit increase last year at $390.6 million, a sum which is almost equal to the combined net profit of all Cambodian commercial banks in 2017. NagaWorld’s parent company, NagaCorp Ltd, is listed on the Hong Kong