Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Cop arrested over grenade attack

Cop arrested over grenade attack

Content image - Phnom Penh Post

Cop arrested over grenade attack

Authorities in Kampong Thom province have arrested a Military Police officer suspected of throwing a grenade into a prosecutor’s home more than three years ago.

Kampong Thom Provincial Court Prosecutor Ith Sothea said military policeman Sorn Pon, 35, was sent to jail and had his case forwarded to court on Thursday.

“We cannot say it was him 100 percent yet,” Sothea said. “We need to do more investigation. He might be the suspect in the grenade attack, but he has not confessed yet.”

Pon is suspected of throwing a grenade into the house of Kampong Thom Provincial Court Deputy Prosecutor Say Nora in 2014.

Nora, who was not home at the time, was not injured in the attack. At the time, he had been deputy prosecutor for just three weeks.

Nora and other court officials said the grenade was an attempt on his life by an illegal timber syndicate in the area after he oversaw a number of high-profile arrests of loggers in the group.

Court administration spokesman Van Seng said Kampong Thom and Preah Vihear Provincial Military Police acted on a warrant for Pon’s arrest issued last June accusing him of attempting to murder a public officer and using a weapon without permission. “First he shot the front of his house and then threw a grenade into his house,” Seng said.

Seng added that Pon had previously been convicted in absentia of illegally transporting and collecting timber in July 2016, for which he was sentenced to two years.

MOST VIEWED

  • Breaking: US House passes 'Cambodia Democracy Act'

    The US House of Representatives in Washington, DC, on Monday, passed the “HR 526 Cambodia Democracy Act”, also known as the Cambodia Democracy Act of 2019. If signed off by the president, the bill will allow two major sets of action to be taken against high-ranking Cambodian

  • ‘Zero-dollar’ tours under fire

    Minister of Tourism Thong Khon has blamed “zero-dollar” tour operators for the decrease in foreign tourists to Angkor Archaeological Park in the first half of this year and has called for action against them. Angkor Archaeological Park received 1.24 million foreign visitors in the first half

  • Breaking: Rubbish found packed inside 83 containers at S'ville port

    Eighty-three containers packed with rubbish were broken open at Sihanoukville Autonomous Port by joint authorities on Tuesday. The origin of the containers has yet to be ascertained, Ministry of Environment spokesman Neth Pheaktra said. Pheaktra, who is also the ministry’s secretary of state, said

  • Some jobs off limits to foreigners from August

    Beginning from the second week of August, foreigners will be banned from driving taxis and tuk-tuks, as well as being motorcycle delivery drivers, street food vendors, hairdressers and product distributors among other lower-income jobs. Some white-collar jobs such as the head of human resources will