Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Cop gets 10 years in capital shooting deaths




Cop gets 10 years in capital shooting deaths

People gather around the site of a police investigation in Phnom Penh where three people were shot in December of last year.
People gather around the site of a police investigation in Phnom Penh where three people were shot in December of last year. Victoria Mørck Madsen

Cop gets 10 years in capital shooting deaths

A Phnom Penh police officer was sentenced to 10 years in prison yesterday for fatally shooting three men, one of whom was a vilage chief, over a dispute about the cost of street lights.

Keo Sovannarith, 27, a second lieutenant at the Ministry of Interior’s public order department, was found guilty of murdering Chuk Lay, 62, chief of Village 4 in Tuol Svay Prey I commune, as well as his son Bun Loeun, 18, and nephew Bun Rithy, 30, with an AK rifle in December, while he was off duty.

Despite the verdict and sentence, Sovannarith will continue to hold the rank of police officer – with his police ID and a permit for gun ownership intact – until he exhausts his appeal options, according to Sek Phoumy, director of the central department of public order.

The murder weapon, however, will be returned to the state.

On December 16 , Chuk Lay, his son and nephew approached Sovannarith and his brother, Sovannara, asking for $50 from each family to install street lights in the capital’s Chamkarmon district.

Sovannarith reportedly refused the sum, instead offering half that amount. The quarrel flared up when Lay’s son and nephew armed themselves with samurai swords and attacked the brothers, slicing Sovannarith on the head, shoulder, back and hand.

Sovannarith then opened fire on the trio, killing Lay instantly. His son and nephew died from their injuries in hospital.

Mak Bunna, the defendant’s lawyer, said the 10-year jail term was not a just result for his client.

“He was defending himself. It is normal to defend ourselves; if he gave in to the other side, they would have killed him,” Bunna said.

The relatives of the deceased had withdrawn their complaint against the perpetrator, but prosecutor Hor Lina continued with the case, saying the rifle used for self-defence was not proportionate to the swords.

MOST VIEWED

  • PM: West unfair to Cambodia

    Prime Minister Hun Sen released a message celebrating the International Day of Peace on Monday, saying that some major powers and western countries had been systemically cooperating to put political pressure on Cambodia as they did in the 1970s and 1980s. Hun Sen said pressuring

  • ‘Bad news is an investor’s best friend’ – unlocking investment potential in Cambodia

    It is time to shop. Economic woes provide good pickings for investors if they know where to look The poem If, written by English Nobel laureate poet and novelist Rudyard Kipling for his son circa 1895, is widely perceived as fatherly advice for John who would

  • First ‘mobile kitchen’ in Cambodia enters service

    A catering company recently rolled out Cambodia’s first “mobile kitchen” – a $50,000 container capable of serving up to 200 people at a time. The kitchen is the brainchild of Seng Hok Heng Catering Services. At 4.4m-high, 6.8m-long and 2.4m-wide (expandable to 6.8m), the kitchen is equipped

  • Kingdom, China rebut basis for US sanctions

    The Council for the Development of Cambodia, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation, and Tianjin Union Investment Development Group Co Ltd (Tianjin) have responded to US sanctions on Union Development Group Co Ltd (UDG), a Chinese-owned company currently developing the sprawling $3.8 billion Dara

  • PM requests Russia’s Covid vaccine

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has requested that Russia provide Cambodia with its Covid-19 vaccine after the former announced it planned on mass vaccinating its population next month. The request came on Thursday through the prime minister’s Facebook page as he met with Anatoly Borovik,

  • Influenza breaks out in eight provinces

    Nearly 600 people have been infected with influenza in eight provinces in the past month, Ministry of Health spokesperson Or Vandine said. The ministry is advising extreme caution. A report released by Vandine on Saturday said the Ministry of Health observed transmissions of influenza between August 15