Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Cops nab 2 in foreigner shootings

Cops nab 2 in foreigner shootings

Suspect Sa Ravan, 25, who police say shot two foreign tourists in two separate robberies in Phnom Penh late last month, was arrested Monday night.
Suspect Sa Ravan, 25, who police say shot two foreign tourists in two separate robberies in Phnom Penh late last month, was arrested Monday night. VIREAK MAI

Cops nab 2 in foreigner shootings

A man suspected of robbing and shooting two foreign nationals late last month was shot four times on Monday night during a shootout with police before being taken into custody. Police also apprehended a second, uninjured suspect after the shootout.

Chea Sovann, 32, and Sa Ravan, 25, stand accused of the armed robberies of a Japanese woman and an American man on September 27 and 28, respectively. In both instances, the victims were shot during the evening in relatively busy areas.

A weeklong sting operation led police to the pair, who were caught after allegedly stealing a Scoopy motorbike from two women driving near Olympic Market at about 9pm. They were pursued by police until they reached the Kbal Thnal overpass, where the suspects opened fire, Phnom Penh deputy police chief Choun Narin said.

“I traced this team for a week already, and we worked very carefully. Therefore, we were able to capture them,” Narin said.

Questioning of the men revealed that they had committed eight armed robberies in the past month alone, he said.

“The suspects have committed many crimes, but they used violence to rob things from women and they also shot the victims. The suspects stole wallets, purses and motorbikes from their victims,” Narin said.

Both Sovann and Ravan were armed with K54 and K59 pistols at the time of their arrest, and the bullets matched those fired at the Japanese and American tourists, he added.

“The arrests were based on the evidence.… The scientific examination of the bullets showed that they matched, and the suspects also admitted to the crimes,” he said.

Sovann, who was shot in the abdomen, is recuperating at the Khmer-Soviet Friendship Hospital, while Ravan will be sent to court to be charged today.

Maurice Law, 57, who was shot in the groin and thigh on September 28 is still recovering at Calmette Hospital.

MOST VIEWED

  • Purging Sihanoukville’s past with a new masterplan

    Amid illicit activities, haphazard development and abandoned projects, the coastal city of Sihanouk province needs a reset to move forward. A new masterplan might be the answer to shake off its seemingly mucky image to become the Shenzhen of the south Gun toting, shootouts, police

  • Chinese may be first in tourism revival: PM

    Cambodia's tourism industry is gearing up to roll out the red carpet for Chinese travellers after Prime Minister Hun Sen on September 17 indicated that the Kingdom could soon throw open its doors to international holidaymakers vaccinated against Covid-19 – starting with guests from China. Cambodia Chinese

  • Four-pillar approach in reopening of tourism: PM

    Cambodia is drawing up a four-strategy approach to promptly restore domestic and international tourism activity and put the industry on a transition pathway to a sustainable and inclusive model that is resistant to future crises, according to Prime Minister Hun Sen. The prime minister made

  • Airline says ready for green light to reopen international tourism

    Sky Angkor Airline Co Ltd on September 21 said it is ready to transport South Korean and Chinese tourists to the Kingdom once the Cambodian government makes good on plans to reopen its borders to vaccinated travellers. The Siem Reap-based airline made the remark during a

  • Tourism concerns laid bare

    To ensure the success of plans to reopen the tourism market for international visitors, Cambodia must pay utmost attention to two primary determinants – the ongoing paradigm shift in domestic tourism services towards the ‘new normal’, and the factors influencing choices of destinations among foreign holidaymakers.

  • Cambodian bride ‘badly treated, held captive’ by Chinese man seeks help

    A Cambodian woman who travelled to China to marry a Chinese man there was “badly treated” by her husband’s family and then had to be rescued and will be returned to Cambodia to ensure her safety. The rescue operation came about after the 25-year-old