Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Council drops case over Global Apparels strikes

Council drops case over Global Apparels strikes

A tyre burns outside Global Apparel garment factory last month during a protest by former employees demanding severance pay. Photo supplied
A tyre burns outside Global Apparel garment factory last month during a protest by former employees demanding severance pay. Photo supplied

Council drops case over Global Apparels strikes

The Arbitration Council this week terminated the case involving the ongoing dispute between workers and the Malaysian-owned Global Apparels Limited factory in Phnom Penh, citing employees’ refusal to stop striking while the case was in arbitration.

Soth Chet, an official with the Collective Union of Movement of Workers, said yesterday that he wasn’t surprised by the decision. “I’m really sorry for the workers,” he said. “No one cares for the workers’ interests.”

Some 600 workers were terminated earlier this month, and contracts for an additional 1,200 are set to expire in coming months, leading up to the factory’s closure in October.

According to a copy of the decision, workers were ordered to stop striking and go to work, but they did not.

A Global Apparels representative, who declined to be named, said the company doesn’t plan to go further. “If the workers’ contracts end, they will get paid based on their contracts.”

Joel Preston, a consultant at the labour rights group Central, said these kinds of decision were “common”, but workers could appeal.

“They need to make sure they are not on strike during the arbitration process,” he said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Breaking: US House passes 'Cambodia Democracy Act'

    The US House of Representatives in Washington, DC, on Monday, passed the “HR 526 Cambodia Democracy Act”, also known as the Cambodia Democracy Act of 2019. If signed off by the president, the bill will allow two major sets of action to be taken against high-ranking Cambodian

  • ‘Zero-dollar’ tours under fire

    Minister of Tourism Thong Khon has blamed “zero-dollar” tour operators for the decrease in foreign tourists to Angkor Archaeological Park in the first half of this year and has called for action against them. Angkor Archaeological Park received 1.24 million foreign visitors in the first half

  • Breaking: Rubbish found packed inside 83 containers at S'ville port

    Eighty-three containers packed with rubbish were broken open at Sihanoukville Autonomous Port by joint authorities on Tuesday. The origin of the containers has yet to be ascertained, Ministry of Environment spokesman Neth Pheaktra said. Pheaktra, who is also the ministry’s secretary of state, said

  • Some jobs off limits to foreigners from August

    Beginning from the second week of August, foreigners will be banned from driving taxis and tuk-tuks, as well as being motorcycle delivery drivers, street food vendors, hairdressers and product distributors among other lower-income jobs. Some white-collar jobs such as the head of human resources will