Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Countersuit launched against Adhoc official

Countersuit launched against Adhoc official

Countersuit launched against Adhoc official

A Mondulkiri provincial Forestry Administration (FA) official has launched a countersuit against a senior Adhoc officer in Phnom Penh who last year sued him for turning a blind eye to forestry and land-grabbing crimes.

Adhoc officer Pen Bonnar and some 70 villagers last year lodged lawsuits against more than 10 officials and prominent businesspeople in Kratie, Tbong Khmum, Kampot and Ratanakkiri provinces. Those who were sued were alleged to be engaging in land-grabbing and forest-clearing.

Mondulkiri provincial FA director Vong Sokserey, who was formerly held the same post in Ratanakkiri, was one of those sued. Sokserey yesterday confirmed he had sued Bonnar back but declined to comment further, only saying he had been questioned by the Ratanakkiri Provincial Court over Bonnar’s allegations.

“He sued many officials,” he said. “What proof does he have for suing us like this?”

Ratanakkiri Provincial Court director Suo Lar said yesterday he was unaware of Sokserey’s countersuit. Provincial prosecutor Liv Sreng and court spokesmen Mam Vanda and Keo Pisoth declined to comment.

Bonnar said he was only aware of a lawsuit against him from local media reports. He said Sokserey had the right to sue him for defamation, but only if the courts found his own lawsuit to be without merit.

“My case has a long way to go,” he said. “This might be a threat; this threat can be another crime.”

MOST VIEWED

  • Serious flooding across country

    The Kampong Speu provincial Committee for Disaster Management on Wednesday issued an alert after non-stop heavy rain caused widespread flooding. In Koh Kong province, authorities are working with the disaster committee and the Cambodian Red Cross to assist those affected after more than 350 homes were

  • CNRP points to King in call for vote boycott

    Leaders of the former Cambodia National Rescue Party (CNRP) have taken a new tack in their call for a boycott of the national elections later this month. They are now claiming that the people should follow the King, who is expected to abide by tradition

  • Actress’s NGO takes heat for promoting the ruling party

    An actress’s NGO which participated in an election campaign event contrary to the Law on Association and Non-Governmental Organisations (Lango) has been slammed. Chorn Chanleakena, a celebrity and the president of the Association of Artists Volunteering to Help Society, allegedly led its members in

  • Troop moves ‘won’t worry people’

    Senior officials at the Ministry of Defence and National Police said on Tuesday that riot training provided to the country’s police forces were aimed at preventing unexpected demonstrations and strikes before and after the July 29 national elections. The troop mobilisation, they said, would not