Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Court alters charges against Australian

Court alters charges against Australian

Court alters charges against Australian

121206_04b

Australian national Paul Codognato at Phnom Penh Municipal Court yesterday. Photograph: Lieng Sarith/Phnom Penh Post

The Phnom Penh Municipal Court yesterday sentenced an Australian engineer to two years in prison after altering its charges against him from purchasing sex with a minor to unlawfully moving the 15-year-old girl against her will, a court official said.

Presiding judge Duch Kimsan said that the sentencing of Paul Codognato, 68, on altered charges came after a closed hearing, the content of which remains confidential.

In an earlier, open hearing in September, the 15-year-old girl said that in March, Codognato had raped her twice without a condom and then gave her $10.

Codognato said at the hearing that he had not had sex with the girl, maintaining that he brought her to his house after she told him she was thirsty and out of kindness gave her water, food and money.

“She told me that she was 18,” he added.

Kimsan said the time the defendant had already spent in jail since his arrest in March would count toward his sentence.

Had he been convicted on the original charge, he would have faced five to 10 years in prison.

Codognato’s defence lawyer, Dun Vibol, told the Post yesterday that he would accept the court’s verdict and would not appeal the decision but nevertheless urged the court to release his client. 

“He acted out of charity,” he said.

Seila Samleang, director of Action Pour Les Enfants, said that it was common for Cambodian courts to alter charges against defendants, particularly if the defendants were foreign, often due to threats against witnesses that led them to change their testimony.

To contact the reporter on this story: Lieng Sarith at [email protected]

MOST VIEWED

  • Angkor Wat named as the top landmark for the second year

    Travel website TripAdvisor has named Cambodia’s ancient wonder Angkor Wat as the top landmark in the world for the second year running in their Travelers’ Choice Award 2018, an achievement Cambodian tourism operators expect will attract more tourists to the Kingdom. The website uses traveller

  • New US bill ‘is a violation of Cambodian independence’

    After a US congressmen introduced bipartisan legislation that will enact sanctions on Cambodian officials responsible for “undermining democracy” in the Kingdom, government officials and the ruling Cambodian People’s Party on Sunday said they regarded the potential action as the “violation of independence and sovereignty

  • Hun Sen detractors ‘will die’

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Wednesday said those who curse or insult him would eventually die without a plot of land to bury their bodies after being killed by lightning, suffering the same fate as those who recently died in Thmar Baing district in Koh

  • Ministry’s plan for net sparks fears

    The government has ordered all domestic and international internet traffic in the Kingdom to pass through a Data Management Centre (DMC) that has been newly created by the state-owned Telecom Cambodia, in a move some have claimed is an attempt to censor government critics. Spokesman