Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Court begins Chakrya queries

Court begins Chakrya queries

Ny Chakrya
Ny Chakrya (centre), a senior official at the Cambodian Human Rights and Development Association, poses for a photo with supporters yesterday at the Phnom Penh Municipal Court. Vireak Mai

Court begins Chakrya queries

Reporters and supporters of human rights activist Ny Chakrya were barred from entering Phnom Penh Municipal Court yesterday, as he sought to avert charges being laid against him in a case described by advocates as “judicial harassment”.

Chakrya, head of the human rights and legal aid section of local NGO Adhoc, faces potential charges of “public defamation”, “acts of slanderous denunciation”, and “publication of commentaries to put pressure on the judiciary”, brought against him by prosecutors at Siem Reap Provincial Court.

The accusations are based on comments he made during a May 12 press conference in Phnom Penh condemning the arbitrary arrest and detention of Ven Lorn and Beourn Sok, two residents of Chup Romdeng village in Siem Reap province’s Svay Leu district, who are involved in a high-profile land dispute.

On June 17, Lorn and Sok both were found guilty of inciting a group of residents to destroy and intrude on the property of agricultural development company Community Takhmao Development Agricultural & Industrial. They received six- and eight-month prison terms, respectively.

The Observatory for the Protection of Human Rights Defenders, an organisation that seeks to prevent the repression of rights workers, branded the proceedings against Chakrya “judicial harassment”, aimed at derailing his efforts to provide legal assistance to victims of human rights violations.

Emerging from the court yesterday after the two-hour preliminary hearing, Chakrya remained bullish about the case against him.

“The evidence we have presented shows it does not make sense for them to accuse me of defamation, framing, or putting pressure on the court’s jurisdiction,” he said.

According to Chakrya, his proof includes documents from Siem Riep’s provincial government that he says back the claims of the men he was defending at the press conference. Nevertheless, he remained cautious about his prospects of escaping charges and a potential lawsuit.

“Confident? No,” he said. “But I have very strong evidence.”

Phnom Penh Municipal Court prosecutor Seang Sok declined to comment on the case, while the deputy prosecutor in Siem Reap Sok Keo Bandit and the investigating judge Ki Rithy could not be reached for comment.

Chakrya’s statements were made in front of dozens of supporters gathered outside the courthouse, with more than 40 leaving their homes in Tbong Khmum province before daybreak to visit the capital and lend him their support.

According to Un Songcheng, who said she was spending $10 on transportation and losing $5 in wages as an agricultural labourer to be there, people from her community felt compelled to offer Chakrya their support because of the work he has done to help them in their battle for land rights.

“He is a patriot and he helps the weak people; he has not done anything illegal, so we came here to support him, because we are worried that he might face injustice,” she said.

With prosecutors set to present more evidence to the court, it is still unclear whether Chakrya will face formal charges.

MOST VIEWED

  • Temi tourism project approved by the CDC

    The $500.4 million Tourism, Ecological, Marine and International (Temi) tourism project has been approved by the Council for the Development of Cambodia (CDC), according to a notice on its Facebook page on Monday. The project is part of Chinese-owned Union City Development Group Co Ltd’s (

  • Rainsy will return at ‘favourable time’

    Opposition figure Sam Rainsy on Saturday suggested he would not return to Cambodia as he had previously promised, saying that like liberators King Father Norodom Sihanouk and Charles de Gaulle, he would only do so at a “favourable time”. “I will go back to Cambodia

  • NagaWorld casino sees net profit of more than $390M last year

    Phnom Penh’s NagaWorld casino posted a 53 per cent net profit increase last year at $390.6 million, a sum which is almost equal to the combined net profit of all Cambodian commercial banks in 2017. NagaWorld’s parent company, NagaCorp Ltd, is listed on the Hong Kong

  • US Embassy urged to stop ‘disrespecting sovereignty’

    The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation called on the US Embassy in Phnom Penh on Saturday to respect the Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations after it called former opposition leader Kem Sokha “an innocent man” – a move deemed to be “disrespecting Cambodia’s