Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Court considers probe in ‘mob beating’ death



Court considers probe in ‘mob beating’ death

Sok Noeun, 36, holds a portrait of her late son, Phal Narou, 15, who was beaten by a mob after he was allegedly caught stealing earlier this month in Phnom Penh.
Sok Noeun, 36, holds a portrait of her late son, Phal Narou, 15, who was beaten by a mob after he was allegedly caught stealing earlier this month in Phnom Penh. Erin Handley

Court considers probe in ‘mob beating’ death

The alleged mob killing of a 15-year-old boy that rattled a Stung Meanchey community last week was yesterday transferred to the Phnom Penh Municipal Court to consider an investigation, police said.

Meanchey District Deputy Police Chief Hour Mengvang said yesterday that the death of the boy, whom villagers suspected was a thief, was now “in the hands of the administration”.

“We have just submitted this case to the court,” he said.

On Sunday, Mengvang said that police considered the death of Phal Narou – who was allegedly caught red-handed by villagers, had his hands tied, was badly beaten and eventually drowned in a nearby lake – as a case of “unintentional murder”. “If we are [talking about the accused], it is the whole village who flocked to beat him,” he said at the time.

Most villagers on Sunday denied being present at the beating, with many claiming Narou had drowned himself as villagers were preparing to hand him over to police.

Narou’s mother, Sok Noeun, said she was happy to hear her son’s case had progressed to the court but that she had little hope.

She said she borrowed money to pay for the funeral and did not have any left to do what she saw as necessary to receive justice – pay money to officials.

“It is like a cow eating the grass, but we do not have grass to give to the cow, so what can I hope for?” she said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Businesses in capital told to get travel permit amid lockdown through One Window Service

    The Phnom Penh Municipal Administration has issued guidelines on how to get travel permission for priority groups during the lockdown of Phnom Penh, directing private institutions to apply through the municipality's One Window Service and limit their staff to a mere two per cent. In

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Ministry names types of business permitted amid lockdown

    The Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training singled out 11 types of business that are permitted to operate during the lockdown of Phnom Penh and Takmao town, which run through April 28. Those include (1) food-processing enterprises and slaughterhouses; (2) providers of public services such as firefighting, utility and