Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Court date for HR workers

Court date for HR workers

Court date for HR workers

Lawyers for two human rights workers, charged in connection with the riots in Sihanoukville

following the dumping of toxic waste, say their clients have been ambushed by the

court.

Kim Sen and Meas Minear, who both work for the human rights NGO Licahdo in Kampong

Som, were arrested December 21 last year and accused of robbery and property damage.

But the court has just announced the charges for the June 21 trial have been changed

- a move their lawyers say leaves too little time to prepare a proper defense.

In addition, Licahdo representatives said 50 witnesses have been called by the prosecution,

as opposed to the seven who were originally named.

This leaves the lawyers for Kim Sen and Meas Minear just eleven days to conduct cross

examinations and research the witnesses' backgrounds.

The two men will now be charged under articles two and seven of the 1991 demonstration

law. Article two states that a street demonstration may be held only if there is

no violence, no arms, if it does not harm public peace, order or security, and as

long as three days' notice is given to the authorities.

Article seven states that "any demonstrators who use violence, cause damage

to other peoples' properties ... or cause injuries or loss of life to other people

or top officials on duty will be punished ... those who instigate demonstrators into

violence will be punished..."

Lean Chenda, lawyer for Meas Minear, said that the change of charges mean that she

would have to prepare a new defense strategy, but that there was not time to do so.

"The authorities are obliged to give us fifteen days notice; they have only

given eleven," she said.

"It's illegal to do this," she added.

Licadho has denied the men's guilt all along, saying that they were acting within

their mandate and informing the demonstrators of their rights.

Human Rights Watch recently released a report calling for the immediate dismissal

of the original charges, owing to lack of evidence and improper arrest procedures.

The Court of Appeal said January 20 that the arrests and detention were improper

because the Sihanoukville court had failed to review the evidence against them beforehand,

and ordered the release of the two men from prison.

MOST VIEWED

  • Prince injured, wife dies after accident

    THE wife of former First Prime Minister Prince Norodom Ranariddh, Ouk Phalla, 39, died while the prince was “severely” injured following a road accident in Preah Sihanouk province’s Prey Nub district on Sunday morning, officials said. Rananriddh, who is also the president of the Funcinpec

  • Guards protest dismissals, reject claims of sharing naked photos of child

    Some 20 former security guards at the US Embassy in Phnom Penh protested on Tuesday against their dismissal. They accused their employers of falsely claiming they had viewed and shared child pornography from their mobile phones as grounds for their termination. In total, 32 personnel were dismissed

  • We’re going to Wisney World!

    More than 6,000 mostly Chinese attendees witnessed the inauguration ceremony of a $1 billion Sihanoukville resort project called Wisney World in the capital on Wednesday. The event on Koh Pich, attended by several senior Cambodian government officials, is a joint venture between China’s AMC International and

  • Funcinpec urges probe into deadly Preah Sihanouk accident

    THE Funcinpec party has urged the government, especially the Ministry of Interior, to investigate the traffic accident in Preah Sihanouk province which left Prince Norodom Ranariddh badly injured and his wife Ouk Phalla dead. Funcinpec Vice President You Hokry told reporters at Botum Votey pagoda,