Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Court ends probe into Sokha's ignoring of summons

Court ends probe into Sokha's ignoring of summons

CNRP spokesman Yim Sovann speaks to supporters and the media during a briefing at the CNRP headquarters in Phnom Penh yesterday.
CNRP spokesman Yim Sovann speaks to supporters and the media during a briefing at the CNRP headquarters in Phnom Penh yesterday. Heng Chivoan

Court ends probe into Sokha's ignoring of summons

The Phnom Penh Municipal Court yesterday said an investigation into acting CNRP president Kem Sokha’s failure to appear for court summonses has concluded.

In a letter dated Friday and revealed publicly yesterday, judge Than Leng confirmed the investigation had been completed and that it was now up to the prosecutor to either file charges and move toward a trial or to drop the case.

“The investigating judge is only announcing the completion of investigation,” said court spokesman Ly Sophanna. “The court can have more procedures, so it does not mean that this case has ended.”

Neither the letter nor Sophanna divulged details about the investigation’s findings.

The court had previously summonsed Sokha in relation to a $300,000 suit filed by his alleged mistress Khom Chandaraty in a case involving “procurement or prostitution”.

Following Sokha’s refusal to appear and the National Assembly’s decision to allow the ongoing probe to continue despite his parliamentary immunity, the court issued another summons asking him to explain his absence at court.

Hem Socheat, one of Sokha’s five lawyers, yesterday said he had only seen the letter and had yet to receive formal documents from the court. “But, we feel that [prosecutors] will proceed the case for trial, and in that case, we are ready to file an appeal,” he said, again calling the entire investigation illegal.

CNRP spokesman Yim Sovann refused to comment on the details of the case, but in a morning briefing yesterday, he referred to the situation as a political stalemate.

“We are seeing a deadlock ahead of us. The CNRP still considers this political situation unclear and the cases [in court] are … politically motivated,” he said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Restrictions re-imposed in capital as Covid cases surge

    Amid the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has shown no sign of subsiding with 750 infections and 10 deaths reported on June 2 alone, the Phnom Penh Municipal Administration has decided to re-impose the suspension of all occupations and business activities deemed as posing high risk of

  • Phnom Penh-Sihanoukville expressway 51% complete

    The construction of the nearly $2 billion Phnom Penh-Sihanoukville Expressway is 51.35 per cent complete and is expected to be finished in 2023, according to Ministry of Public Works and Transport secretary of state Vasim Sorya. Invested in by Cambodian PPSHV Expressway Co Ltd, the first expressway in

  • With herd immunity likely in 2022, is Cambodia ready to reopen for tourism?

    The government aims to inoculate 80 per cent of the target population by June next year, giving it a head start among regional peers to reboot the sector but first, it has to do a few things to up its game A sign on a glass

  • First 7-Eleven store to open mid-June, ambassador says

    Thai retail conglomerate CP All Pcl will open Cambodia’s first 7-Eleven convenience store in mid-June, Cambodian ambassador to Thailand Ouk Sorphorn told The Post on June 1. The Bangkok-listed 7-Eleven franchise operator, the retail arm of Charoen Pokphand Group Co Ltd, granted CP All (Cambodia)

  • US wants 'full access' to Ream Naval Base

    On June 11, the US embassy's Defense Attaché Colonel Marcus M Ferrara visited Ream Nava Base in coordination with Cambodian officials following the recent approval of Prime minister Hun Sen to allay the concerns on Chinese military presence at the base as raised by US Deputy

  • US embassy guard gets Covid despite two doses of Pfizer jab

    The Covid-19 tracking commission on June 4 said a security guard at the US embassy in Phnom Penh had contracted the novel coronavirus, despite having received a second dose of the Pfizer-BioNTech shot two weeks ago. Embassy spokesperson Chad Roedemeier confirmed the SARS-CoV-2 infection to The