Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Court news: Verdict due in mining dispute

Court news: Verdict due in mining dispute

Court news: Verdict due in mining dispute

Court news
Phnom Penh Municipal Court is set to announce a verdict today in a case that has pitted a local mining firm headed by the wife of a two-star general against a Taiwanese company, with each side accusing the other of breach of contract.

Phnom Penh Municipal Court Judge Oeung Seang said a decision in the lawsuit brought by Nim Meng Group – which is headed by Lay Sineang, the wife of two-star general Nim Meng – would be handed down today. A decision on the US$96 million suit filed by Hong Tung against Nim Meng Group is still pending.

Hong Tung and Nim Meng Group began working together in July of last year on a copper-mining project in Siem Reap province’s Chi Kraeng district, but this partnership was abruptly terminated in February amid claims from Hong Tung that Nim Meng had seized its equipment.

Nim Meng Group alleges that Hong Tung planned to sell off the mining licence to another company in violation of the joint-venture agreement.

It has also filed a defamation suit against Hong Tung after the Taiwanese firm aired its allegations in the media in April.

MOST VIEWED

  • Prince injured, wife dies after accident

    THE wife of former First Prime Minister Prince Norodom Ranariddh, Ouk Phalla, 39, died while the prince was “severely” injured following a road accident in Preah Sihanouk province’s Prey Nub district on Sunday morning, officials said. Rananriddh, who is also the president of the Funcinpec

  • Bun Heang mocks US, threatens its citizens in scathing open letter

    After being hit with sanctions from the US Department of Treasury, Cambodian General Hing Bun Heang said he would retaliate against any US national who does not respect his country’s sovereignty, has ambitions to invade Cambodia or incites “traitors” in the Kingdom to do

  • Guards protest dismissals, reject claims of sharing naked photos of child

    Some 20 former security guards at the US Embassy in Phnom Penh protested on Tuesday against their dismissal. They accused their employers of falsely claiming they had viewed and shared child pornography from their mobile phones as grounds for their termination. In total, 32 personnel were dismissed

  • Funcinpec urges probe into deadly Preah Sihanouk accident

    THE Funcinpec party has urged the government, especially the Ministry of Interior, to investigate the traffic accident in Preah Sihanouk province which left Prince Norodom Ranariddh badly injured and his wife Ouk Phalla dead. Funcinpec Vice President You Hokry told reporters at Botum Votey pagoda,