Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Court postpones ‘terror’ trial

Court postpones ‘terror’ trial

Court postpones ‘terror’ trial

Phnom Penh Municipal Court yesterday postponed a hearing in the case against three men of Bangladeshi, Nepalese and Myanmar origin, who are accused of plotting terror attacks, presiding judge Sin Visal said.

The three were arrested in June after a series of letters were sent to the American, Australian and British embassies in April, identifying them as members of the al-Qaeda terrorist group who were planning attacks on their facilities.

Due to the absence of interpreters and embassy representatives, Sin Visal ordered the hearing postponed until January 11.

“We could not hear the case today because the appointed interpreter, as well as representatives from each embassy, were absent, which would not allow a fair trial,” he told the court.

Court deputy prosecutor Sok Roeun told The Post in June that 42-year-old Bangladeshi national Rafiqul Eslami, and TD Taudyal, 44, from Nepal, had been charged under the Kingdom’s anti-terrorism law. If convicted, each could receive between five and 10 years in prison.

He added that Eslami is facing additional charges for crossing into Cambodia without a passport. The identity of the Myanmar man is not known.

“We didn’t object to the court’s postponement of the hearings because the interpreter and representatives from the embassies weren’t present, and the next hearing is not a long time away,” said El Vanna, a lawyer representing one of the accused.

MOST VIEWED

  • Hundreds of children in hospital with dengue

    A serious dengue fever epidemic is affecting Cambodia, with nearly 600 children hospitalised in the five Kantha Bopha Children’s Hospitals on Monday alone, a statement posted on the Kantha Bopha Foundation’s official Facebook page said on Wednesday. Because Kantha Bopha Children’s Hospitals provide

  • Gov’t to probe Chinese exports to US via Sihanoukville

    The government is investigating allegations that Chinese companies are using Chinese-owned special economic zones in Cambodia to export goods to the US and avoid tariffs, said Ministry of Commerce spokesman Seang Thay. The move comes after US embassy spokesman Arend Zwartjes said the US had

  • Banh: The Khmer Rouge worse than sanctions and pressure

    Minister of National Defence Tea Banh said on Thursday that having sanctions and external pressure placed on Cambodia was not worse than life under the brutal Khmer Rouge regime. Tea Banh, who is also deputy prime minister, was speaking to military and ruling party officials

  • Using tech innovation to tackle Cambodia’s rampant road deaths

    Cutting corners, rampant phone use, speeding and driving through red lights – these are just some of the reasons why driving in Phnom Penh can often feel like a city-wide game of dodgems. The high death toll on the nation’s roads – combined with several high-profile