Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Court questions the plaintiff in botched plastic surgery case

Court questions the plaintiff in botched plastic surgery case

Court questions the plaintiff in botched plastic surgery case

Ex-schoolteacher says 2 Phnom Penh surgeons were careless during ear operation that disfigured the right side of her face.

A MUNICIPAL Court deputy prosecutor on Tuesday questioned a former schoolteacher who claims two Phnom Penh surgeons disfigured the right side of her face during botched ear surgery last year.

Nhem Tyhem Marin, 59, filed a complaint May 11 against Ly Bunchhoeun, a nose, throat and ear surgeon at Preah Ang Duong Hospital, and Duong Chheak, a surgeon at Calmette Hospital, seeking US$100,000 in compensation.

It's completely their fault for not fulfilling their... obligations.

"It's completely their fault for not fulfilling their professional obligations to treat my client in a careful way after receiving $500 to conduct ear surgery," said her lawyer, Som Chandina.

‘Careless' work

The complaint alleges that the surgeons were "careless" during the August 2008 operation, which Nhem Tyhem Marin says left her mouth, right eye and right ear disfigured. According to the complaint, her mouth "was not straight" and her eye "was unable to close" immediately after the operation, though the surgeons, she said, told her she would recover fully within one week.

Som Chandina stated in an interview that the surgeons later said it would take six months for her to recover, then paid her $2,200 to pursue treatment in Vietnam on the condition that she would not bring her complaint to Cambodian courts.

He said his client travelled to Vietnam in March and was told by doctors there that they could do nothing to help her and that the affected eye and ear would likely be paralysed forever.

Calls placed with both hospitals in an attempt to reach Ly Bunchhoeun and Duong Chheak went unreturned Tuesday. Both have been summoned to appear Monday before Deputy Prosecutor Heang Sopheak in Municipal Court.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh authorities ban march for Human Rights Day

    Phnom Penh authorities have banned a planned march as local NGOs and workers’ unions gear up to celebrate the 70th anniversary of the signing of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights on Monday, with a youth group leader saying they would march nonetheless. The UN

  • Phnom Penh’s Jet’s Container Night Market shuts down

    The famous Jet’s Container Night Market in central Phnom Penh has shut down due to the high cost of the land rental, company representatives claim. Jet’s Container Night Market is the largest such market in Phnom Penh. It operated for just over two

  • Hun Sen rejects ‘rift’ rumours spread by ‘stupid gangsters’

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Wednesday denied a “rift” among top leaders of the Cambodian People’s Party (CPP), and rejected claims that Senate president Say Chhum and Interior Minister Sar Kheng were set to be removed from their positions as rumours spread by “gangsters”.

  • EU ambassador to Cambodia: Rights a ‘work in progress’

    The EU ambassador to Cambodia has called human rights “a work in progress” and said the 28-nation bloc has “carefully” noted last week’s statement by the government on taking further steps to strengthen democracy and the political sphere in the Kingdom. The EU marked