Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Court rejects activists’ appeal to reopen case

Court rejects activists’ appeal to reopen case

Nget Khun and fellow Boeung Kak activists stand outside the Appeal Court, which on Wednesday rejected a plea to reopen an investigation into a 2013 attack on a peace vigil.
Nget Khun and fellow Boeung Kak activists stand outside the Appeal Court, which on Wednesday rejected a plea to reopen an investigation into a 2013 attack on a peace vigil. Pha Lina

Court rejects activists’ appeal to reopen case

The Appeal Court has rejected a plea from two Boeung Kak activists to restart an investigation into a nighttime attack on lake residents, journalists and others in 2013 at Phnom Penh’s Wat Phnom by thugs and plainclothes police officials.

Amid rising tensions following the disputed 2013 elections, land activists from the Boueng Kak and Borei Keila communities were attacked by a group of men wearing masks and armed with slingshots, batons and cattle prods during a candlelight vigil in September of 2013, with 11 activists and a rights monitor requiring medical attention after the fray. Several others, including reporters covering the rally, received minor injuries.

The two activists and plaintiffs in the case – Nget Khun and Phan Chhunret – were challenging the procedures used by the Phnom Penh Municipal Court to drop the investigation in 2017. The activists had filed a court complaint in 2013.

But presiding Judge Thou Mony rejected their appeal, with Khun saying the judge upheld the Phnom Penh Court’s decision to drop the case.

“The criminal chamber of the Appeal Court ruled to uphold the verdict of the Phnom Penh Municipal Court because the court finds that the complaint of the plaintiff failed to clearly state the identity of the defendants,” she said, relaying the words of the judge.

She carried along with her photos of the alleged attackers and one of an injury she received on her chest from a slingshot, but the three-judge panel found the evidence insufficient.

“The court always decides that poor people lose and the rich or government officials always win. This is injustice for us,” she said.

The Phnom Penh Municipal Court had provisionally charged unnamed individuals for intentional violence and had questioned some of the lake residents and Daun Penh officials, but an investigating judge dropped the charges.

The Boeung Kak lawsuit also named four Daun Penh district officials, whom they claimed were at the crackdown. They were then-Deputy District Governor Sok Penhvuth, Director of Public Order Kim Vutha, district council official Sok Cheata and Deputy District Police Chief Sao Nol.

The crackdown began around 10pm when the protesters were clearing up the area where they had demonstrated, spelling out the word “justice” with candles.

As they left the area, according to witnesses, police and a group of young men began shooting marbles into the group with slingshots, beating people and electrocuting others.

MOST VIEWED

  • Stock photo agencies cash in on Khmer Rouge tragedy
    Stock-photo companies selling images from S-21 raises ethics concerns

    A woman with short-cropped hair stares directly into the camera, her head cocked slightly to the side. On her lap is a sleeping infant just barely in the frame. The woman was the wife of a Khmer Rouge officer who fell out of favour, and

  • US think tank warns of China's 'ulterior motives'

    A US think tank on Tuesday warned that spreading Chinese investment in the Indo-Pacific follows a pattern of leveraging geopolitical influence at the expense of the nations receiving investment, including Cambodia. The report looks at a sample of 15 Chinese port development projects, noting that the

  • Defence Ministry denies weapons in smuggling case came from Cambodia

    After a Thai national was arrested last week for allegedly smuggling guns from Cambodia to Thailand, Cambodia's Defence Ministry has claimed the weapons seized during the arrest are not used in Cambodia, despite the fact that both types of rifle seized are commonly found in

  • More than three tonnes of ivory reportedly bound for Cambodia seized in Mozambique

    A total of 3.5 tonnes of ivory reportedly bound for Cambodia was seized by authorities in Mozambique late last week, according to the NGO Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES). CITES' information was based on a report from the