Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Crackdown halts illegal timber trade with Vietnam: gov’t

Crackdown halts illegal timber trade with Vietnam: gov’t

Authorities investigate a rosewood warehouse earlier this year in Tbong Khmum province during a government raid. Photo supplied
Authorities investigate a rosewood warehouse earlier this year in Tbong Khmum province during a government raid. Photo supplied

Crackdown halts illegal timber trade with Vietnam: gov’t

The illegal timber trade to Vietnam, a key nexus in a shadow industry worth billions of dollars, has been all but eliminated, an official said yesterday in summarising a new report from the government’s anti-logging commission, a claim met with disbelief by more than one observer.

The commission’s report, which was sent to Prime Minister Hun Sen on Monday but not made publicly available, unveils a story of widespread success, military police spokesman Eng Hy said yesterday.

A total of 51 court cases against both companies and individuals have been opened since the crackdown was initiated and 70,000 cubic metres of timber have been seized, Hy said.

“Some companies received land concessions, but they gave them to other companies to bulldoze or cut down forests … the prosecutors are investigating,” Hy said. “We stopped smuggling.”

It’s an assertion that did not ring true for Prey Lang Community Network coordinator Seng Sokheng.

“Illegal logging is still happening and timber abuse still continues,” Sokheng said. “Every day, we see many trucks export timber in Ratanakkiri, Mondulkiri and Tbong Khmum provinces. Some trucks export timber through Kampong Thom.”

“They cannot crack down or stop logging or export,” he added. “They just do it for a while.”

The crackdown’s temporary nature was also underscored by Transparency International Cambodia director Preap Kol, who said he expected it to continue intermittently through the 2018 parliamentary election.

“I can’t predict the future, but in past crackdowns, after they stopped, logging came back within two months … It’s not surprising at all that logging and smuggling have gone down,” he said. “[But] It is like a thunderstorm – it will pass.”

Thus far, the commission has not shared the names of the companies charged.

In Mondulkiri, provincial deputy prosecutor Long Hokmeng said six companies had been targeted, including Cambodian, Vietnamese and Singaporean enterprises.

“We still do not know yet whether the companies are responsible for the crimes or if individuals who got rights from the companies committed the crimes,” said Hokmeng.

Sok Ratha, a provincial coordinator with rights group Adhoc, said the investigation involves rubber producers Unigreen Resources Co Ltd and the Binh Phuoc companies but did not know the rest. He urged the government to be more transparent with the details.

“The committee must show their investigation [results] to the public … reveal which companies and people are involved with these crimes,” he said.

Not all alleged perpetrators were arrested – some only received summonses to appear in court, while others received arrest warrants. Meanwhile, in multiple operations over recent months, perpetrators repeatedly managed to escape despite being chased by police and forestry rangers.

But while the crackdown has been derided by some environmental activists, others see signs of progress.

Ross Sinclair, country director of the Wildlife Conservation Society (WCS), which works with the government to monitor logging and poaching, said that illegal logging had visibly declined in protected areas in the east and north of the country.

“They haven’t been targeting the small village guy ... the patrols seems to be targeting middlemen and above, and that dried up demand from smaller operators,” said Sinclair. “We hope the committee continues and doesn’t finish.”

WCS deputy country director Prak Munny agreed that logging has declined in the east during the crackdown, but added that since the report had been sent, smuggling had already begun to pick back up in Keo Sema district of Mondulkiri.

Additional reporting by Phak Seangly and Alessandro Marazzi Sassoon

MOST VIEWED

  • NagaWorld casinos set to reopen, schools to follow

    NAGACORP Ltd has requested that it be allowed to reopen its NagaWorld integrated resorts in Phnom Penh after the government recently approved casinos to operate again, provided they follow Covid-19 prevention measures set by the Ministry of Health. Mey Vann, the director-general of the Ministry

  • ASEM supports Kingdom’s proposal to postpone meeting amid Covid

    The 13th Asia-Europe Meeting (ASEM13) scheduled to be held in Cambodia in November has been postponed until mid-2021 due to the Covid-19 pandemic, a Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation press statement released on Saturday said. The decision was made during a two-day meeting

  • Coffee maker roasted for producing fake product

    The Ministry of Interior’s Counter Counterfeit Committee will send a suspect to court on Monday after she allegedly roasted coffee mixed with soybeans and other ingredients, creating a product which could pose a high risk to consumers’ health. On the afternoon of July 2, the

  • Cambodia armed with money laundering laws

    Money laundering will now carry a penalty of up to five years in prison while those convicted of financing terrorists will be jailed for up to 20 years, according to new laws promulgated by King Norodom Sihamoni and seen by The Post on Thursday. Comprising nine

  • Schools to be reopened in ‘three stages’

    With guidance from Prime Minister Hun Sen, the Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport, is in the process of reopening schools in three stages. But no timeline has been set, ministry spokesperson Ros Soveacha said on Thursday. Soveacha said the first stage will be to

  • Thai border crossings eased

    The Cambodian Embassy in Thailand said in an announcement on Wednesday that Thailand’s government has allowed certain passengers from several countries to enter its borders. The visitors must go back to their country immediately after their duties in Thailand are fulfilled, the embassy said.

  • Gov’t says tourism recovers slightly despite pandemic

    The Ministry of Tourism and the Phnom Penh municipal administration have recognised 33 tourism businesses in the capital which have consistently implemented safety measures for tourists and adhered to the code of conduct issued by the ministry. Recently, the ministry announced that tourism businesses had to

  • Mull ASEAN border opening, PM urges

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has requested that ASEAN launch a scenario for gradually reopening cross-border travel and trade between countries in the region. He said ASEAN has had more success combating Covid-19 compared to other regions. The prime minister’s request was made at the

  • Ministry reports 11 new Covid-19 cases, reiterates vigilance

    Minister of Health Mam Bun Heng has urged people to continue practising virus prevention techniques after 11 people tested positive for Covid-19 within two days after arriving in the Kingdom. Speaking on Sunday, Bun Heng stressed the importance of washing hands, wearing masks or scarves when

  • Koh Rong land ‘belongs to firm’

    Preah Sihanouk Provincial Administration spokesperson Kheang Phearum told The Post on Sunday that the 35ha being bulldozed by Royal Group Co Ltd in Koh Rong belongs to it after it was leased to it for 99 years by the government in 2008. Phearum said the land does