Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Crackdown on unlicensed sand dredging in Ratanakkiri province

Crackdown on unlicensed sand dredging in Ratanakkiri province

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Authorities seized an excavator, three pumping machines, some hoses and other exhibits as evidence. GRK news

Crackdown on unlicensed sand dredging in Ratanakkiri province

Officials from the Ratanakkiri provincial Department of Mines and Energy and Military Police launched a crackdown on unlicensed sand dredging in Kon Mom district’s Sre Angkrang commune which has seen several exhibits seized but no confirmed arrests.

Kon Mom district governor Sek Hay said on Wednesday that the joint forces in collaboration with specialists from the department began a probe after it became apparent that a business owner who was involved did not have a proper licence.

“He [the owner] acquired land to carry out farming on economic land concessions. However, he instead hired machines and tractors to pump and transport sand.

“I don’t know whether people were detained or not, because I told my forces to go and assist the specialists who were in charge of the matter,” he said.

He said he didn’t know the owner’s name or who was involved in the sand dredging, but confirmed that the machinery and materials used belonged to Vietnam firm Hong Anh, which was granted an economic land concession to carry out agriculture in the area.

He said the company had previously also been involved in an unlicensed sand-dredging business.

Ratanakkiri Military Police commander Thav Yen could not be reached for comment on Wednesday.

Citing GRK News, a report from the National Police said on Wednesday that on Tuesday, Military Police forces from Kon Mom district led by district police commander So Vanna in collaboration with provincial specialists cracked down on offences in the commune.

The report said that during the operation, the joint forces seized an excavator, three pumping machines, some hoses and other exhibits as evidence.

The forces are holding the exhibits temporarily at the Military Police station in the district, pending further action by the specialists.

Neither Ung Huor, the director of the Ratanakkiri provincial Department of Mines and Energy, nor a representative of Hong Anh could be reached for comment on Wednesday

Yos Monirath, the director-general of General Department of Mineral Resources, declined to comment on Wednesday, claiming he was too busy at a meeting.

MOST VIEWED

  • PM imposes nationwide Covid restrictions, curfew over Delta scare

    Prime Minister Hun Sen late on July 28 instructed the municipal and provincial authorities nationwide to strictly enforce Covid-19 measures including curfew for two weeks from July 29 midnight through August 12 to stem the new coronavirus Delta variant. The instruction came shortly after he issued a directive

  • Two luxury hotels latest quarantine options for inbound travellers

    The Inter-Ministerial Committee to Combat Covid-19 has designated two luxury hotels as alternative quarantine options for travellers who wish to enter Cambodia through Phnom Penh International Airport – Sokha Phnom Penh Hotel & Residence and the Courtyard by Marriott Phnom Penh. In a notice detailing guidelines issued

  • Provinces on Thai borders put in lockdown amid Delta fears

    The government has decided to place several border provinces in lockdown for two weeks in a bid to prevent the new coronavirus Delta variant spreading further into community. According a directive signed by Prime Minister Hun Sen late on July 28, the provinces include Koh Kong,

  • Visa A holders get to quarantine at Himawari Hotel

    The Ministry of Health has permitted foreign diplomats, UN and International NGO officials to undergo quarantine at Himawari Hotel in the capital in case they do not have a separate place suitable for this purpose, but the government would not be responsible for the expenses.

  • Jabs for kids bring hope for school reopenings

    Cambodia is tentatively planning to reopen schools – at least at the secondary level – when the vaccination of children aged 12-17 is completed, even though daily transmissions and deaths in other age groups remain high. Schools across the country have been suspended since March 20, one month

  • China denies Mekong hacking

    As the US and its allies joined hands last week to expose what they allege to be China’s Ministry of State Security’s malicious cyber activities around the world, the attention also turned to Cambodia with the US Department of Justice claiming that four