Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Criminal Code to be used in brick kiln child labour cases




Criminal Code to be used in brick kiln child labour cases

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
A 14-year-old boy works at a brick kiln in 2013. Hong Menea

Criminal Code to be used in brick kiln child labour cases

The Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training has urged all relevant departments to use the Criminal Code to prosecute brick kiln owners who use child labour. And the owner of a Kandal facility at which a young girl lost her arm will be among the first to face criminal charges.

Early last month, nine-year-old Chheng Srey Pheak suffered horrific injuries and lost her right arm to a machine in an accident, with the owner of the Kandal province brick factory originally only looking at a fine for employing someone under 15 years of age.

With the new directive, clay kiln owners using child labour could face imprisonment.

However, a human rights monitor said the ministry’s instructions will not be effective unless officials regularly inspect brick kilns.

The ministry’s guidance on prohibiting children from entering brick production sites, dated last Wednesday and obtained by The Post on Monday, said the use of child labour at brick factories should be treated as a criminal offence.

Brick kilns must display large and clearly visible signs instructing minors not to enter the facility, with owners who allow children onto their sites also to face criminal charges.

The use of debt slavery – an infringement on the freedom of workers – is to be rigorously prohibited and brick factory owners must be vigilant to ensure children do not enter their sites.

Brick kiln owners will have to organise accommodation for workers and their families far from the facility, which must be surrounded by fencing.

All forms of child exploitation and forcing minors to work to pay off debts is strictly banned.

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
The Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training has urged all relevant departments to use the Criminal Code to prosecute brick kiln owners who use child labour. The owner of a Kandal facility at which a young girl lost her arm will be among the first to face criminal charges. Hong Menea

The directive comes after the incident on March 9 at a factory in Khsach Kandal district’s Preah Prasap commune owned by Leang Srun.

Both the provincial director of the Department of Labour and provincial police said the girl had been helping her parents and had not been forced to work at the factory.

However, after a visit from inspection officials, the ministry decided to take legal action against Srun under Article 368 of the Labour Law where he faces a fine for employing someone under 15 years.

The criminal suit against Srun is for using child labour and failing to prevent minors from entering the site. The Post could not reach Peng Leang, the manager at Srun’s brick kilns, for comment on Monday.

Kandal provincial Labour Department director Thol Neang could also not be reached.

Ministry of Labour spokesman Heng Sour told The Post briefly that he did not have figures for child victims of accidents at brick kilns. However, he warned that all owners who failed to comply with the ministry’s new instructions would face legal action.

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
A 14-year-old boy works at a brick kiln in 2013.

“Owners will face action under the Labour Law and the Criminal Code,” Sour said.

Am Sam Ath, a monitor with human rights group Licadho, said his organisation had found that since 2002, five children working at brick factories had lost arms to machines in accidents, with one dying of their injuries.

Sam Ath said more children would suffer at brick kilns unless the ministry carries out regular inspections.

“Brick factory owners always deny using child labour and a lot of children play near these dangerous sites. Some are allowed by their parents to help them at work, but it is the responsibility of the owners to stop minors from entering and working at their factories.

“If the new instructions are just posted on the wall without regular inspections to ensure owners comply with them, brick kilns will remain highly dangerous places for children,” Sam Ath said.

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
A few boys work at a brick kiln in 2013.

This article was amended on June 11 to clarify that Licadho had found that since 2002 five children working at brick factories had lost arms in accidents, with one dying, rather than one in five had died as originally reported.

MOST VIEWED

  • School reopening to be postponed until November

    Minister of Education Hang Chuon Naron on Tuesday wrote to Prime Minister Hun Sen requesting a delay of school reopening across the Kingdom until November, when the new academic year begins. In his letter, Chuon Naron said the postponement is warranted to avoid the new

  • Foreigners in Kingdom must now register in FPCS system

    The Ministry of Interior’s General Department of Immigration (GDI) announced that it would not grant visa extensions to foreigners staying in Cambodia if their names are not listed on the Foreigners Present in Cambodia System (FPCS) by July 1. Foreign nationals can register in the

  • Covid-19 at ‘alarming rate’, health ministry says

    The Covid-19 risk level for individual transmission is at an “alarming rate” in the Kingdom and its probability is “not low”, warned Health Ministry spokesperson Or Vandine. “Cambodia’s coronavirus scenario is classified as being at an early stage of the pandemic because of ongoing

  • Mandatory quarantine for 30,000 workers begins

    Some of the roughly 30,000 workers from factories and enterprises across the Kingdom who went on leave during Khmer New Year began their government-imposed 14-day quarantine on Monday. Speaking at a press conference while visiting workers at the Phnom Penh Special Economic Zone on Monday, Ministry

  • Unemployed to get $40 per month

    The Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training has instructed enterprises, business owners and travel agencies in five provinces to prepare the proper forms for the suspension of employment contracts. This, it said, will make it easier for the ministry to transfer $40 a month to workers

  • Gov’t travel ban flouted

    While the majority of Cambodians have paid heed to Prime Minister Hun Sen’s order to stay put and not travel during the Khmer New Year – the holidays of which were also postponed – several hundred have left Phnom Penh nonetheless. They have allegedly breached provincial

  • G20 energy ministers struggle to finalise oil output cuts

    Top oil producers struggled to finalise production cuts during a virtual summit held by Group of 20 (G20) energy ministers on Friday, despite US President Donald Trump’s mediation efforts to end a standoff with Mexico. The final G20 communique appeared to gloss over simmering divisions

  • Kingdom revises travel restriction order

    The government on Friday eased the district and provincial border restrictions issued on Thursday. People are now allowed to cross districts within their provinces. Phnom Penh and Kandal province are to be treated as a single region where people are allowed to travel freely. In

  • Private schools struggling

    The Cambodian Higher Education Association has claimed that 113 private educational establishments are facing bankruptcy because of their inability to pay rent and staff salaries in light of nationwide school closures caused by the Covid-19 outbreak. It said the financial trouble started when the Ministry of

  • Khmer New Year holidays postponed

    In an effort to halt Covid-19 infections in the Kingdom, Prime Minister Hun Sen has postponed the Khmer New Year holidays scheduled from April 13 to 16. While the people will not have their usual break, nor will there be any public celebrations or gatherings at pagodas,