Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Deadline arrives for Borei Keila residents



Deadline arrives for Borei Keila residents

Ngov Nary, one of the last Borei Keila residents, refuses to accept the compensation she says is unjust in an interview in Phnom Penh earlier this month.
Ngov Nary, one of the last Borei Keila residents, refuses to accept the compensation she says is unjust in an interview in Phnom Penh earlier this month. Hong Menea

Deadline arrives for Borei Keila residents

Villagers in one of Phnom Penh’s fiercest land disputes said yesterday they are determined to stay in Borei Keila despite today’s deadline to either accept compensation or leave with nothing.

On December 8, City Hall issued a letter notifying the remaining holdouts, who say the proposed relocation site is inadequate and remote, that they had to reach an agreement within two weeks.

Community representative Sar Sorn said none of the roughly 30 families had accepted compensation since then. Just 11 of those families have been found to have a legitimate claim to the land.

The land dispute started in 2007 when the site, which is close to the Olympic Stadium, was granted to the Phanimex company to develop the area. Years of mass evictions and protests followed after the company promised to build 10 houses nearby for evicted residents but only built eight.

About 90 percent of the residents in the area have accepted compensation, though many have complained that the relocation site lacks a school for children, as well as a market and access to job
opportunities.

“We will not receive this unjust compensation. We need a home in Borei Keila and ask the City Hall to urge Phanimex . . . to provide the home for us,” Sorn said. “Why does the City Hall need to move us to Andong village? We will struggle to stay here to wait until the City Hall takes action on us.”

In the municipality’s letter earlier this month, it warned it would take “administrative measures” if residents refused to move, though it remained unclear yesterday what consequences could follow.
City Hall spokesman Met Measpheakdey said that “after the deadline the City Hall will take action to implement our announcement”.

“We may not allow them to live unlawfully in Borei Keila,” he said, without elaborating further.

Vann Sophat, a coordinator at the Cambodian Center for Human Rights who has worked with affected Borei Keila residents, said he had not been informed what consequences the holdouts might face. “We do not know what will happen after the deadline,” he said.

“So far they are in the position that they want the room in Borei Keila . . . When this action [of tearing down the building] may be taken, these 11 people will be landless, homeless.”

Additional reporting by Leonie Kijewski

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh curfew starts today

    A two-week curfew from 8pm to 5am starts today in Phnom Penh, a day after a sub-decree detailing administrative measures to contain Covid-19 was issued by Prime Minister Hun Sen. “Travelling in Phnom Penh is temporally banned between 8pm and 5am,” said Phnom Penh governor

  • Covid in Kingdom hits ‘critical point’

    The Covid-19 situation in Cambodia has reached a critical point, the World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned, as cases surge with two more deaths and 265 infections reported over the weekend. On March 28 alone, the Ministry of Health recorded 86 Covid-19 cases linked to the February 20

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Cambodia set for large-scale vaccination campaign as Covid spreads

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has instructed all provincial authorities to get ready for a large-scale vaccination campaign, with at least one million doses to be administered per month. “We will roll out at least one million doses. The vaccines we have purchased and received as

  • Covid-19 spreads in Kingdom, infects more children

    The Ministry of Health on March 28 reported another 86 Covid-19 cases linked to the February 20 community outbreak. Among them, two are Chinese and the rest are Cambodian. Preah Sihanouk province recorded the most cases at 43, followed by the capital at 25; three each in Tbong Khmum, Svay