Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Defamation case appeal

Defamation case appeal

Defamation case appeal

120308_06a

General director of Nokorwat newspaper Touch Kongkea has appealed a court decision that rejected his accusations media baron Soy Sopheap defamed him and stole personal emails.

{jathumbnail}

Touch Kongkea sued the Deum Ampil Media Centre general director last year for allegedly accessing private emails between himself and Lim Bunheng, president and CEO of rice-milling company Loran Import-Export Co Ltd.

The emails, which have been seen by the Post, pertained to a planned takeover of a radio station run by Soy Sopheap.

Phnom Penh Municipal Court threw out the charges three weeks ago, but Touch Kongkea’s lawyer, Chan Vichet, said yesterday that his client had appealed this decision on February 29.

“My client could not accept the Phnom Penh Municipal Court’s decision, because it was injustice for him,” he said yesterday.

Chan Vichet said his client has also demanded US$5,000 compensation from Soy Sopheap.

Soy Sopheap could not be reached for comment, but his lawyer, Kouy Thunna, said his client will counter-sue Touch Kongkea for lying to the court by falsely accusing his client.

“To find justice for my client as well as to defend his honour, I will file a lawsuit against Touch Kongkea for telling lies to the court. I will ask for $10,000 in compensation for him,” he said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Archeologists find ancient phallic statue

    An archeological team has found a metre-long tipless stone linga (penis) of the Hindu deity Shiva in the foundations of a temple in Kratie province’s historical Samphu Borak area, a former capital of the pre-Angkor Empire Chenla period. Thuy Chanthourn, the deputy director of

  • Man arrested for fake PM endorsement

    The owner of currency exchange company GCG Asia Co Ltd was temporarily detained by the court yesterday for attempted fraud after Prime Minister Hun Sen reacted to the company using his name and pictures to allege his endorsement of the firm. Phnom Penh Municipal Court

  • Sihanoukville authority orders structure dismantled

    The Preah Sihanouk provincial administration has ordered owners of two unauthorised construction sites to immediately dismantle them and warned of legal action if the owners failed to comply. Ly Chet Niyom, development management and construction bureau chief at the provincial hall, told The Post on

  • Police seek arrest of Chinese ‘gang’

    Cambodian police remain on the lookout for 20 Chinese nationals who earlier this month posted a video clip threatening to stoke insecurity in Preah Sihanouk province, though the Chinese Embassy in Phnom Penh maintained the group posed no threats to Cambodia’s national security. National Police