Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Defence minister warns against general strike

Defence minister warns against general strike

Defence minister warns against general strike

Defence Minister Tea Banh yesterday said the Royal Cambodian Armed Forces are ready to protect the Kingdom’s constitution should the opposition’s threatened general strike fall on the wrong side of the law.

“A nationwide general strike or mass demonstration must be held under the framework of the law, and it would be impossible if the strike is not under the framework of the law. [I] am not threatening, but one has to look at [the Cambodia National Rescue Party’s] intention to destroy the constitution,” Banh said in a speech given to officials at a handover of power at the Ministry of Social Affairs.

“[I] am speaking frankly now – [nobody] can destroy the constitution, and the armed forces are already in Phnom Penh.”

On Wednesday, the CNRP threatened to call for a nationwide strike barring ruling party concessions at the National Assembly. It also branded the government as “illegitimate” after the vote for the new mandate was held on Tuesday with none of the 55 opposition lawmakers in attendance.

The opposition boycotted Monday’s opening session of parliament, which went ahead despite legal analysts saying the constitution demanded at least 120 lawmakers to be present.

Banh said yesterday that the CNRP’s threatened strike – which it has vowed to hold for a single day – was clearly aimed at undermining the constitution.

“It is difficult [to understand] how a party that fully respects the constitution could make a wrong and illegitimate government,” he said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Government hits back at threats to pull EBA, suspend UN seat

    The spokesman for the ruling Cambodian People’s Party (CPP) has said the government is in no way concerned after the European Parliament gave it three months to reverse what it called the “systematic repression of the political opposition”. Ignoring the ultimatum could mean facing

  • Chinese influx pushing locals, Westerners out of Preah Sihanouk

    Some within the Kingdom’s tourism industry have speculated that the recent influx of Chinese visitors may hinder domestic tourism as the price of accommodations in the coastal city of Sihanoukville continues to rise. Preah Sihanouk province, which has become a hotbed for Chinese investment

  • Sar Kheng: Sokha requested security

    Interior Minister Sar Kheng on Sunday revealed the story behind the transfer of former opposition party leader Kem Sokha from Trapaing Phlong prison in Tbong Khmum province to his house in the capital. Speaking at the ruling Cambodian People’s Party (CPP) headquarters in Prey

  • Chinese living in Kingdom more than doubles since ’17

    The number of Chinese nationals living in Cambodia this year has increased to more than 210,000. The figure rose from last year’s 100,000, the newly appointed Secretary of State Sok Phal confirmed yesterday. He said: “Of the 210,000, more than 78,000 are living in Preah Sihanouk [province], but