Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Defendants cut off as 23’s trial goes on

Defendants cut off as 23’s trial goes on

Defendants cut off as 23’s trial goes on

When union leader Vorn Pov was finally allowed to give testimony yesterday on the third day of the trial of 23 men arrested during a garment strike in January, he found himself cut off by an attorney ordering him to answer only the exact question he was being asked.

“I want to answer completely, so you can find justice for me,” the Independent Democracy of Informal Economy Association (IDEA) president said at Phnom Penh Municipal Court.

The exchange was indicative of the stance judges and prosecutors took towards the workers and unionists charged with crimes ranging from incitement to intentional violence.

Answers by four defendants arrested during a protest at Yakjin Garment factory on January 2 were repeatedly cut off by judge Keo Mony and prosecutor Ly Sophanna yesterday on the grounds that they were irrelevant.

In courtroom two, judge Leang Samnath agreed with the prosecution that its witnesses testifying against 13 men charged over a protest on January 3 – when authorities shot dead at least four people – needed limited cross examination.

Four high-profile activists charged with incitement in the Yakjin case all told stories of being attacked for no reason.

“I said I wasn’t a protester, but [soldiers] said, ‘You are a disturbance’, and beat me,” said Sokun Sombath Piseth of the Center for Labor Rights of Cambodia. His arm was broken that day. “I didn’t do anything wrong … the soldiers broke the law.”

Sophanna quickly interjected, reminding attorney Sam Sokong that his client was the one on trial.

Similar exchanges occurred during questioning of Boeung Kak activist Chan Puthisak and Coalition of Cambodian Farmer Community coordinator Theng Savoeun.

As 22 military police officers took the stand, prosecutor Top Chhunlong asked judge Samnath to restrict defence attorneys from questioning them about allegations of beating defendants.

“The accused did not file complaints against the police alleging beatings,” Chhunlong said. “I would like to ask the judge not to allow the defence to raise questions related to beatings or torture.”

Samnath agreed and banned the line of questioning.

Mony denied requests from Sokong to enter certain photographs into evidence, telling them the court will later view a video that will show events covered in the photographs.

“We regret the judges’ consistent warnings to the defence and the prosecutors’ objections to evidence,” Am Sam Ath, senior investigator at rights group Licadho, said. “This will impair justice for the accused.”

All but one of 23 witnesses for the prosecution testified in the case of 13 charged in the Veng Sreng protest yesterday.

Proceedings will continue today at 8am.

MOST VIEWED

  • Temi tourism project approved by the CDC

    The $500.4 million Tourism, Ecological, Marine and International (Temi) tourism project has been approved by the Council for the Development of Cambodia (CDC), according to a notice on its Facebook page on Monday. The project is part of Chinese-owned Union City Development Group Co Ltd’s (

  • Rainsy will return at ‘favourable time’

    Opposition figure Sam Rainsy on Saturday suggested he would not return to Cambodia as he had previously promised, saying that like liberators King Father Norodom Sihanouk and Charles de Gaulle, he would only do so at a “favourable time”. “I will go back to Cambodia

  • NagaWorld casino sees net profit of more than $390M last year

    Phnom Penh’s NagaWorld casino posted a 53 per cent net profit increase last year at $390.6 million, a sum which is almost equal to the combined net profit of all Cambodian commercial banks in 2017. NagaWorld’s parent company, NagaCorp Ltd, is listed on the Hong Kong

  • US Embassy urged to stop ‘disrespecting sovereignty’

    The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation called on the US Embassy in Phnom Penh on Saturday to respect the Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations after it called former opposition leader Kem Sokha “an innocent man” – a move deemed to be “disrespecting Cambodia’s