Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Dengue numbers swelling, says ministry

Dengue numbers swelling, says ministry

Dengue numbers swelling, says ministry

With cases in the past six months more than doubled compared to last year, the Ministry of Health is urging Cambodians to exercise caution as the Kingdom builds toward an expected periodic dengue outbreak.

Since January, 1,346 people have been infected by the virus – a 69 per cent increase from the same period in 2014, National Dengue Control Program manager Dr Leang Rithea said yesterday at a National Dengue Day event in Phnom Penh.

About 71 per cent of those infected were primary school children between the ages of five and 14. Three children have died from the disease.

“We are asking people to protect themselves by wearing long-sleeved shirts, covering water jugs they use and turning unused jugs upside down so mosquitoes don’t breed,” Rithea said.

Based on CNM’s data since 1980, Cambodia, like most countries in the region, usually experiences an epidemic every three to six years.

“The peak of the next predicted epidemic is in 2016 and what’s happening now is a build-up,” said Rithea, adding that he could not confirm the reason behind the cyclical upticks.

CNM has increased its stock of dengue prevention chemicals and will distribute more than 35,000 bottles of IV fluid, about 9,000 litres of insect repellent and 345 tonnes of larvicide across the country.

“Children especially have to be careful, so teachers, parents and local authorities should be on alert,” said WHO’s Dr Luciano Tuseo.

MOST VIEWED

  • Hundreds of children in hospital with dengue

    A serious dengue fever epidemic is affecting Cambodia, with nearly 600 children hospitalised in the five Kantha Bopha Children’s Hospitals on Monday alone, a statement posted on the Kantha Bopha Foundation’s official Facebook page said on Wednesday. Because Kantha Bopha Children’s Hospitals provide

  • Gov’t to probe Chinese exports to US via Sihanoukville

    The government is investigating allegations that Chinese companies are using Chinese-owned special economic zones in Cambodia to export goods to the US and avoid tariffs, said Ministry of Commerce spokesman Seang Thay. The move comes after US embassy spokesman Arend Zwartjes said the US had

  • Sihanoukville building collapse death toll rises to 19

    Minister of Interior Sar Kheng said on Sunday that the government will act against those responsible for the collapse of a seven-storey building in Sihanoukville on Saturday, which resulted in 19 dead and 24 injured as of Sunday evening. Sar Kheng said three Chinese nationals and one

  • Banh: The Khmer Rouge worse than sanctions and pressure

    Minister of National Defence Tea Banh said on Thursday that having sanctions and external pressure placed on Cambodia was not worse than life under the brutal Khmer Rouge regime. Tea Banh, who is also deputy prime minister, was speaking to military and ruling party officials