Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Denny Kwan ban lifted



Denny Kwan ban lifted

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Celebrity Denny Kwan has had her one-year ban for her provocative dressing lifted. facebook

Denny Kwan ban lifted

The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts’ disciplinary council on Friday decided to lift a one-year working ban given to an actress who refused to tone down her provacative attire.

Thai Norak Satya, spokesman of the Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts, said on Sunday that measures taken against celebrity Denny Kwan were garnering positive results.

“Her attitude has changed, and she has engaged in social and humanitarian works. Therefore we decided that we would lift the ban,” Satya said, noting they had been initially called to act by a public outcry.

“People critique the ministry for ignoring such things. So we work on it.”

Satya said that while the ministry cannot directly prevent those in the entertainment industry from hiring her, owners of entertainment companies complied. He said the act wasn’t meant to restrict women.

Kwan could not be reached for comment. However, in comments posted to Facebook, she stated that she accepted the decision.

Ros Sopheap, head of Gender and Development for Cambodia, raised the concern that women in the entertainment industry would be more fearful of expressing themselves, as they don’t want to face a similar ban.

“Now when the ministry was successful in banning her, it makes other women scared, and there is no space for women in her profession.”

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Ministry names types of business permitted amid lockdown

    The Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training singled out 11 types of business that are permitted to operate during the lockdown of Phnom Penh and Takmao town, which run through April 28. Those include (1) food-processing enterprises and slaughterhouses; (2) providers of public services such as firefighting, utility and

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting