Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Deportation figures triple

Deportation figures triple

Arrested Chinese scammers are deported from Cambodia last month.
Arrested Chinese scammers are deported from Cambodia last month. General Department of Immigration

Deportation figures triple

A year-long crackdown on illegal immigration equated to a threefold increase in deportations in the first 11 months of 2015, with 4,312 foreigners sent home versus just 1,307 in the same period last year, according to a Department of Immigration report obtained yesterday.

The proportion of Vietnamese deportees is over 90 per cent this year, an increase from 2014, when 81 per cent of all deportees were Vietnamese.

“There were 48 nationalities including Vietnamese, Chinese and others that stayed [in Cambodia] without legal documents or after their stay expired,” said Major General Uk Hai Sela, head of investigation at the General Department of Immigration.

He said that some deportees come back illegally, requiring police to arrest and deport them again.

“They did not commit a serious crime in our country, but they did not have valid documents such as passports, visas and work permits,” said Hai Sela.

Of the 5,619 people deported throughout 2014 and 2015, about 14 per cent were women.

The National Police created 89 district-level immigration units across Cambodia in July, which are intended to work independently from the provincial police offices, allowing them to catch people more efficiently, according to deputy National Police commissioner Sok Phal.

In October, Hai Sela said that he had observed more foreigners using legitimate documents to enter the Kingdom of late and that he expects deportations to trend downward.

MOST VIEWED

  • Breaking: US House passes 'Cambodia Democracy Act'

    The US House of Representatives in Washington, DC, on Monday, passed the “HR 526 Cambodia Democracy Act”, also known as the Cambodia Democracy Act of 2019. If signed off by the president, the bill will allow two major sets of action to be taken against high-ranking Cambodian

  • ‘Zero-dollar’ tours under fire

    Minister of Tourism Thong Khon has blamed “zero-dollar” tour operators for the decrease in foreign tourists to Angkor Archaeological Park in the first half of this year and has called for action against them. Angkor Archaeological Park received 1.24 million foreign visitors in the first half

  • Breaking: Rubbish found packed inside 83 containers at S'ville port

    Eighty-three containers packed with rubbish were broken open at Sihanoukville Autonomous Port by joint authorities on Tuesday. The origin of the containers has yet to be ascertained, Ministry of Environment spokesman Neth Pheaktra said. Pheaktra, who is also the ministry’s secretary of state, said

  • VIP prison scrapped amid much criticism

    The Ministry of Interior announced on Thursday that Cambodia’s first privately run prison, which was to allow prisoners with enough money to upgrade to more comfortable cells, has been scrapped. Ministry spokesman Khieu Sopheak said studies had found that no other country in the