Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Deportations to China underway, official says



Deportations to China underway, official says

Thirty-one Taiwanese and Chinese nationals were processed to be deported to mainland China starting yesterday.
Thirty-one Taiwanese and Chinese nationals were processed to be deported to mainland China starting yesterday. Photo supplied

Deportations to China underway, official says

Cambodia began deporting 31 Chinese and Taiwanese suspected fraudsters to mainland China yesterday, according to an immigration officer, despite protests from Taiwanese authorities.

Khun Sambo, deputy director of the Interior Ministry’s Department of Immigration, said yesterday that they have sent “31 Chinese people back to China”.

Immigration police previously acknowledged that seven Taiwanese were among the group, who were arrested for allegedly extorting citizens in China via Voice over Internet Protocol programmes. Sambo said the suspects had been split into two groups: 17 flew from the Sihanoukville airport at 10pm yesterday, and the remaining 14 will fly from Siem Reap on Saturday.

“China couldn’t buy all the tickets [for Phnom Penh], and as they urgently want to send them back, they decided to buy the tickets in [Siem Reap and Sihanoukville] instead,” he said. “We don’t know whether they will forward them to Taiwan.”

Cambodia adheres to the “One China” policy, under which Taiwan is considered a non-independent province of China.

The suspects were arrested early last week. After being informed that seven were Taiwanese, Taipei sent personnel to Cambodia to ask for their extradition to Taiwan, but the immigration office maintained Taiwan had not contacted them. The Taiwanese Foreign Affairs Ministry did not respond to inquiries yesterday.

Chinese Embassy representative Wang Dexin said he had been informed the deportations would start soon, but did not know specifics.

Additional reporting by Leonie Kijewski

MOST VIEWED

  • Hun Sen says Kingdom not a 'satellite country'

    Prime Minister Hun Sen said Cambodia had sent diplomatic notes to various embassies demonstrating its stance and clarifying allegations that the Kingdom is a satellite country of China which will allow it exclusive access to the Ream Naval Base in Preah Sihanouk province. The response

  • Vast Prince Manor fun park opens to much fanfare in Kandal

    Chinese-owned Prince Culture and Development Co Ltd officially launched the $85 million Prince Manor entertainment centre in Kandal province on Wednesday. Prince Manor is located along National Road 1, 20km from the centre of Phnom Penh. It is the first major theme park project in Cambodia and

  • Angkor provides ‘valuable’ water storage

    The Apsara National Authority (ANA) has stored millions of cubic metres of water at reservoirs in the Angkor area after Cambodia experienced a series of rainstorms over the last few days. The storing of the water, besides serving temple conservation, will also be used to

  • Floods prompt evacuations in Kampong Speu

    Rain-induced floods and water flowing from Kampong Speu province have submerged the houses of 1,527 families living close to the Prek Thnot River in Spean Thma, Tien, Kong Noy and Roluos communes in Phnom Penh’s Dangkor district, according to data from local authorities. Spean Thma

  • Serving coffee with a side of robots

    The eye-catching glass building surrounded by greenery at the intersection of Streets 371 and 2002 in Phnom Penh’s Sen Sok district is more than just another coffee shop where you can while away a few hours. UrHobby House cafe is filled with robots and characters from

  • Cintri strike ends, workers’ contracts to be terminated

    CINTRI (Cambodia) Ltd rubbish collectors who have been on strike for the past 13 days agreed to return to work starting Wednesday evening after the company agreed to terminate their contracts at the end of January next year and provide seniority payments and other benefits to