Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Details on cancelled concessions sought

Details on cancelled concessions sought

Details on cancelled concessions sought

A week after Prime Minister Hun Sen announced that he would be cancelling an unknown number of economic land concessions in Prey Lang forest, activists called for details on the annulled concessions, saying such revocations would be meaningless unless they could be policed.

“If the government shows us the company name [owning the cancelled ELC], it will be easier for us to figure out which companies are illegally logging in Prey Lang,” said Phok Hong, a villager representative from Preah Vihear province for the Prey Lang Community Network, which on Friday issued a statement urging the government to release information on the cancelled concessions.

“What I am worried about is that government will just stop [the concessions] for a while and later on will allow them to start again.”

On September 28, the Prime Minister said in a Council of Ministers meeting that he would be cancelling a number of concessions in the 3,600 square-kilometre, highly biodiverse Prey Lang forest. ELCs have proliferated in Prey Lang in recent years, often skirting provisions in the land law and threatening the livelihoods of hundreds of thousands of mainly Kuy ethnic minority residents facing the fallout of mass deforestation.

In the statement sent to the Prime Minister and Minister of Agriculture, members of the Prey Lang Community Network commended the recent announcement but called for greater transparency regarding the cancelled concessions. They also noted that, thus far, “not one of the companies has stopped their actions at all”.

Minister of Agriculture Chan Sarun and deputy chief of Hun Sen’s cabinet, Lim Leang Se, could not be reached for comment yesterday. Council of Ministers spokesman Phay Siphan said he didn’t have details.

“The reason the prime minister decided to cancel those companies’ [concessions] is because he doesn’t want to see development like that,” he said.

At least 33 companies currently have rights to develop within the forest. In July, the premier cancelled four ELCs totaling more than 40,000 hectares.

To contact the reporter on this story: May Titthara at [email protected]

MOST VIEWED

  • Man arrested for fake PM endorsement

    The owner of currency exchange company GCG Asia Co Ltd was temporarily detained by the court yesterday for attempted fraud after Prime Minister Hun Sen reacted to the company using his name and pictures to allege his endorsement of the firm. Phnom Penh Municipal Court

  • Sihanoukville authority orders structure dismantled

    The Preah Sihanouk provincial administration has ordered owners of two unauthorised construction sites to immediately dismantle them and warned of legal action if the owners failed to comply. Ly Chet Niyom, development management and construction bureau chief at the provincial hall, told The Post on

  • Police seek arrest of Chinese ‘gang’

    Cambodian police remain on the lookout for 20 Chinese nationals who earlier this month posted a video clip threatening to stoke insecurity in Preah Sihanouk province, though the Chinese Embassy in Phnom Penh maintained the group posed no threats to Cambodia’s national security. National Police

  • Rapper deletes song critical of Cambodian social issues

    A young musician has deleted from Facebook and YouTube a rap song that was critical of Cambodia’s social issues and announced that he will stop singing the song after officials visited his home in Siem Reap province and allegedly gave him a warning. Provincial