Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Detentions dent Cambodia's internet freedom score



Detentions dent Cambodia's internet freedom score

A person browsers the internet on their phone at a café near Phnom Penh’s Wat Phnom last year.
A person browsers the internet on their phone at a café near Phnom Penh’s Wat Phnom last year. Hong Menea

Detentions dent Cambodia's internet freedom score

Freedom for Cambodia’s internet users has declined for the second year in a row, due largely to “a dramatic increase in detentions for online activity”, according to a report released on Monday.

The Kingdom retained its designation of “partly free” in the 2016 Freedom on the Net report, while its score climbed to 52, up from last year’s 48 (where zero is the best possible score). This leaves Cambodia ranked 40th among the 65 countries surveyed, but behind only Uganda and Bangladesh for the worst year-on-year change.

The report attributes much of the backslide to a slew of court cases against internet users, including student Kong Raiya and opposition Senator Hong Sok Hour.

Raiya, who was charged with incitement after calling for a “colour revolution” in a Facebook post last year, was sentenced to 18 months in prison in March, while Sok Hour faced charges of forgery and incitement for posting an allegedly doctored version of a Cambodia-Vietnam border treaty on Facebook. Though the report only covers the period of time between June 2015 and May 2016, Sok Hour received a seven-year prison sentence earlier this month.

Ministry of Information spokesman Ouk Kimseng said that Cambodians enjoy unfettered access to the internet and social media, and that law-abiding citizens had no reason to be concerned about expressing themselves online. “Everyone enjoys access to the internet,” he said. “Everyone is welcome to use social media.”

Regarding the case of Kong Raiya, he added that using social media “just for fun” or “to talk about politics” was not problematic, “but inciting is another issue”.

Internet freedom score

Moeun Chhean Nariddh, director of the Cambodian Institute for Media Studies, meanwhile, argued that a lack of publicity limited any chilling effect the arrests may have had on online speech.

“Most people didn’t even know Cambodian [Facebook] users have been arrested,” he said via email. “People continue to post their opinions . . . regardless of the arrests.”

The report also cautions that Cambodia’s Telecommunications Law, which was passed last December, is an opportunity for “increasing government intrusion into digital privacy”.

In April, rights group Licadho published a briefing arguing that the law, which contains a broad authorisation of “secret surveillance”, posed “serious threats” to unfettered online communication.

At the time of the Licado report’s release, the Ministry of Posts and Telecommunications rejected its concerns. Ministry representatives could not be reached for comment yesterday.

Cambodia did defy what the report identifies as the central global trend of the past year: a crackdown on mobile communication apps. While many countries took measures to block the use of messaging apps such as WhatsApp and Telegram, the Kingdom’s internet users have been subjected to no such restrictions.

The country has also seen large gains in internet penetration in the past year. Landline internet access rose to 19 percent from a reported 9 percent last year, and 29 percent of smartphone owners reported using their phones to access the internet, up from 19 percent in 2016. However, the report notes that “poor infrastructure” still prevents many Cambodians from accessing the internet.

Nariddh said that to ensure democracy, the government “needs to promote internet freedoms by being tolerant of any harsh criticism and scrutiny by the media and the public as a whole”.

But he added that Cambodian internet users have a reciprocal obligation. “They need to build their media literacy and learn how to use the internet safely and responsibly.”

MOST VIEWED

  • Kingdom's Covid cluster cases jump to 194

    The Ministry of Health on February 25 confirmed 65 new cases of Covid-19, with 58 linked to the February 20 community transmission. The latest cluster cases include nine Vietnamese nationals, five Cambodians, one each from Korea, Singapore and Japan, with the rest being Chinese. This brings the total number

  • Locations shut, dozens more Covid-19 positive

    The Ministry of Health has closed 23 locations in connection with the February 20 community transmission of Covid-19 and summoned for testing anyone who had direct contact with affected people and places. The number of discovered related infections has risen to 76, including 39 women. In a press release,

  • Cambodia's Covid cluster cases rise to 137

    The Ministry of Health on February 24 recorded 40 more cases of Covid-19, with 38 linked to the February 20 community transmission. Of the 40, two are imported cases involving Chinese passengers. The 38 include two Vietnamese nationals and one Cambodian, with the rest being Chinese. This brings the total cases

  • Covid cluster raises alarm, health bodies urge vigilance

    The Ministry of Health and the World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia have expressed great concern over the February 20 cluster transmission of Covid-19 in the community. Both entities appealed for vigilance and cooperation in curbing further spread of the virus. Ministry spokeswoman Or Vandine said

  • PM confirms third Covid-19 community transmission

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on February 20 announced the Kingdom's third outbreak of Covid-19 community transmission after 32 people tested positive in just over 10 hours. Addressing the public from his residence after an emergency meeting, Hun Sen said: "I dub it February 20 Community Event, in which 32 cases

  • Cambodia's cluster cases jump to 259

    The Ministry of Health on February 27 recorded 26 more cases of Covid-19 linked to the February 20 community transmission, bringing the total to 259 in one week. The 26 include three Vietnamese nationals and one Cambodian, with the rest being Chinese. The ministry noted that five of the Chinese