Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Directive causes concern

Directive causes concern

Directive causes concern

THE Interior Ministry has issued a directive to provincial administrations and law

enforcement agencies asking them to watch for alleged supporters of the outlawed

Cambodian Freedom Fighters (CFF) as part of its security plan for February 2002 commune

elections.

A senior ministry official told the Post October 11 that the directive was issued

amid fears that some CFF supporters "could create mischief during the electoral

process in order to discredit the government".

Human rights groups were concerned that this could be used as a tool to exclude opposition

candidates and administrators.

Dr Lao Mong Hay, executive director of the Khmer Institute of Democracy, said: "I

feel that they [the arrests] are being used to intimidate the public at large and

opposition in particular, the idea being not to let the opponents engage in the electoral

process. The authorities know that fear will drive them [the opposition] underground."

Kek Galabru, founding president of human rights NGO Licadho, said her concern was

to see legal procedure strictly observed and ensure that the process of identifying,

arresting and trying suspects was transparent. She said this had not yet happened

with the 53 alleged CFF members arrested so far this year.

"We have not been given access to any of the accused and don't know how many

of them have legal representation. We have not even seen the arrest warrants,"

she said.

Co-Minister for the Ministry of the Interior, Sar Kheng, who also chairs the committee

constituted by Prime Minister Hun Sen for ensuring security of candidates and voters

during the commune elections, also issued detailed guidelines to provincial authorities

detailing the implementation of the security plan.

The directive states that each province is responsible for implementing the plan

to maintain peace and harmony down to the commune level. The guidelines follow a

request from the National Election Committee (NEC) asking for security measures to

protect voters and candidates.

Meanwhile, the NEC has stripped its provincial and commune counterparts of the power

to bar a candidate from electoral fray.

The PECs and CECs had the power to bar the entire list of candidates if even one

was disqualified. In its revised directive, the NEC said the local committees would

have to bring the case to it if they felt a candidate did not measure up to the criteria

laid down under the commune election law. The election observers were worried that

the powers could be abused.

MOST VIEWED

  • Ministers to tackle sea pollutants

    Preah Sihanouk provincial authorities and members of local communities have collected 77 tonnes of water hyacinth at a Sihanoukville beach, Preah Sihanouk Provincial Hall spokesperson Or Saroeun said. He told The Post yesterday that the aquatic weeds had been floating along some of the province’s

  • Negotiations on EBA being held

    In an effort to defuse tensions, a senior government official said Cambodia is negotiating with the European Union (EU) on the Everything But Arms (EBA) trade deal, which allows the Kingdom to export goods to the 28-member bloc tariff-free. The EU notified Cambodia on October 5

  • Chinese police escort deported scam suspects

    Ninety-one Chinese nationals accused of extorting money from victims in a Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) scam were deported from Phnom Penh International Airport on Monday under the escort of 182 Chinese police personnel. General Department of Immigration head of investigations Ouk Hay Seila told reporters

  • EU timber deal in firing line

    A committee of more than 20 national and international organisations filed a petition to the EU on October 10 to prevent it from signing a timber trade agreement with Vietnam, noting that the deal would be disastrous to the Kingdom’s forests. The petition claims Vietnamese timber