Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Disaster aid reaches 280K households in five years

Disaster aid reaches 280K households in five years

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Social Affairs Ministry spokesman Touch Channy revealed the figures and plans at a press conference on its five-year achievements, organised by the Government Spokesperson Unit at the Council of Ministers on August 18. RGU

Disaster aid reaches 280K households in five years

The Ministry of Social Affairs, Veterans and Youth Rehabilitation has provided emergency assistance in the form of food and other materials to 280,292 households who fell victim to natural disasters and other unfortunate events in the past five years, and has now set the medium and long-term goals of strengthening social protection.

Ministry spokesman Touch Channy revealed the figures and plans at a press conference on its five-year achievements, organised by the Government Spokesperson Unit at the Council of Ministers on August 18.

He said the ministry has worked with several organisations, including the Cambodian Red Cross (CRC), to complete the tasks.

Through the National Social Security Fund (NSSF), he said the ministry has established a social security system which assists with pensions, and payments for disabilities, maternity leave, accidents and deaths.

Channy said the security fund for civil servants reached to 56,171 people – including retirees and the disabled – and 44,692 dependents. Approximately $94 million a year is spent to maintain the payments.

“We estimate that the total number of civil servants is more than 200,000, of whom about 3,300 retire year – about 1.5 per cent,” he explained.

He added that the ministry had also provided treatment to 55,307 drug addicts at treatment and rehabilitation centres. Of the number, 35,223 had been reunited with their families and communities since recovering.

He said the government has launched two cash transfer programmes, the first for pregnant women and new mothers. Since June 2019, the ministry had provided more than $19 million to 277,080 pregnant women and children. As part of its strategy to protect the public during its fight against Covid-19, the government launched a cash handout programme for the poor and vulnerable in June 2020.

“As of July 24 this year, we have completed nine rounds of payments to 700,000 households. We have spent about $744 million to support the most vulnerable households in the country,” he said.

Channy noted that following the Covid-19 lockdowns, the ministry had implemented additional support programmes for those who lost their livelihoods or loved ones to Covid-19. This assistance had cost $8.7 million.

Am Sam Ath, deputy director of rights group LICADHO, applauded the emergency support programmes for the poor and vulnerable.

“Helping the impoverished and those affected by natural disasters is a critical function of a just government. The process should be as efficient as possible,” he added.

MOST VIEWED

  • Siem Reap drain canal now ‘mangrove’ promenade

    A more than half a kilometre long stretch of canal in Siem Reap has been covered and turned into a promenade to attract visitors, said Ly Rasmey, secretary of state at the Ministry of Land Management, Urban Planning and Construction, on September 16. The new pedestrianised

  • Typhoon Noru brings flash floods – 16 dead

    An official warned that that the 16th typhoon of the season, Noru, had brought heavy rains to areas the Mekong River and flooded thousands of homes in the provinces bordering Thailand. As of September 27, the death toll from the flooding had risen to 16. National Committee

  • Angkor wildlife, aquarium park still to open October

    The Angkor Wildlife and Aquarium complex about 30km southeast of Siem Reap town with initial total investment of more than $70 million is reportedly still on track for an end-October opening. The park is located on a 100ha plot along National Road 6 in Kbon village, Khchas

  • Final verdicts for Khmer Rouge leaders ‘vital’ for next generation

    Nearly a decade after the commencement of Case 002/02 against Khieu Samphan back in 2014, the Extraordinary Chambers in the Courts of Cambodia (ECCC) is now set to deliver its final verdict for the former Khmer Rouge head of state. The Supreme Court Chamber of the ECCC,

  • Defence minister reaffirms Kingdom’s staunch support for One-China policy

    Minister of National Defence General Tea Banh has reaffirmed Cambodia’s unwavering support for the One-China policy. Tea Banh was speaking at the September 20 ceremonial handover of 117 vehicles and other military equipment donated by China’s defence ministry, held at Phnom Chumreay International Military Training

  • Deaths due to ‘lifestyle’ diseases rise in Kingdom

    The Ministry of Health has called on people to pay closer attention to their health to protect themselves from non-communicable diseases (NCDs) which it said have caused high rates of deaths in the country. Ministry secretary of state York Sambath made the call at a