Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Disgraced tycoon faces fraud charges



Disgraced tycoon faces fraud charges

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Sok Bun has been arrested and charged on multiple counts in relation to the alleged forging of documents to acquire 500ha of community land on Koh Rong, an island off Preah Sihanouk province. Supplied

Disgraced tycoon faces fraud charges

Disgraced tycoon Sok Bun, four commune officials and a village chief have been arrested and charged on multiple counts in relation to the alleged forging of documents to acquire 500ha of community land on Koh Rong, an island off Preah Sihanouk province.

Deputy Prosecutor Kuch Kimlong told The Post on Monday that six people had been forwarded from the Anti-Corruption Unit (ACU) on Monday to Phnom Penh Municipal Court in relation to a land dispute in Preah Sihanouk province’s Koh Rong town.

The six were Bun, president of the Sokbun Group, Koh Rong commune councillor Ung Nith, Koh Rong commune chief Seng Huorleang, Koh Rong second deputy chief Keo Som, Koh Rong commune councillor Hem Sa Les and Prek Svay village chief Keo Pov.

Prosecutor Kimlong said Bun had been charged with forging public documents, using forged public documents, instigating intentional destruction and embezzlement under articles 629, 630, 601 and 28 of the Criminal Code.

Nith was charged with intentional destruction and embezzlement, misappropriation of public funds, forging public documents and the use of forged public documents, he said.

The four others, Huorleang, Sa Les, Som and Pov, were charged with intentional destruction and embezzlement, forging public documents and using forged public documents.

“I cannot give further details because the case is in the hands of an investigating judge,” Kimlong said.

Nuon Bunthol, the newly promoted Koh Rong governor, on Monday said he had yet to be fully informed of the case, but that ACU officials had arrived on the island two weeks ago.

Kheang Phearum, the spokesperson for Preah Sihanouk province, said he had not received an official report regarding the case and referred questions to the ACU and Phnom Penh Municipal Court.

Villagers interviewed by The Post last month said Bun had used land titles in an attempt to request ownership approval for 500ha he said he had bought from a villager.

However, local authorities said Bun’s documents appeared suspicious and rejected his request for approval.

Villager Han Sok Hai said last month that her family and more than 40 others had lived in the area concerned since 2012.

She said that Bun and his team had attempted to measure the land last year but were stopped by protesting villagers.

“The government gave legal land titles to my family and more than 40 other families who have been living here since 2015. We don’t understand why the tycoon was so bold as to forge documents and attempt to take over our land,” she said last month.

When reached on Monday, Sok Hai said she could not elaborate further on the issue.

Commune chief Hourleang told The Post last month that Bun had a 5ha plot in the area, not 500ha as he had claimed.

He said villagers had sought help from the provincial governor to protect their property.

Prek Svay village chief Pov told The Post last month that no one had 10ha plots in the area, let alone 500ha.

He said he had also rejected Bun’s request for an ownership transfer because the documents appeared suspicious.

Bun was convicted in early 2016 to three years in prison for violently assaulting female TV celebrity Ek Socheata the previous year.

Phnom Penh Municipal court ruled that he serve 10 months in jail with the remainder suspended.

MOST VIEWED

  • Municipal hall releases map detailing colour coded Covid risks by commune

    Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng released an official map detailing the red, yellow and dark yellow zones within the city under the new lockdown orders for Phnom Penh announced on April 26. The designation of red, dark yellow and yellow corresponds to areas with high,

  • Inter-provincial travel ban lifted; Phnom Penh and Takmao not exempted

    The government on April 25 decided to lift the inter-provincial travel ban and the closure of tourist attractions across the country, effectively immediately. The travel ban and closures of all resorts were imposed on April 6 and 17 respectively in a bid to curb the spread of Covid-19,

  • Phnom Penh unveils rules for post-lockdown transition

    The Phnom Penh Municipal Administration issued a set of detailed guidelines for the seven days to May 12 after the capital emerges from lockdown at the onset of May 6. In the 14-page document signed by municipal governor Khuong Sreng released on the evening of May 5, the

  • Phnom Penh, Takmao lockdown extended for another week

    The government late on April 26 announced an extension of lockdown in Phnom Penh and adjacent Takmao town in Kandal province for another seven days – or longer if residents do not comply with Covid-19 preventive measures and the community outbreak does not subside – until May 5. According

  • Gov't mulls extension of Phnom Penh, Takmao lockdown

    The Inter-ministerial National Commission for the Control and Enforcement of Lockdown held a video conference meeting on April 25 to review a draft document on the extension of lockdown in Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal province’s Takmao town. The meeting was chaired by Minister of

  • Gov’t issues guidelines as lockdown nears end

    The government has issued a five-page set of instructions to be enforced when the three-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Takmao town in Kandal province ends on May 6. According to an announcement signed by Prime Minister Hun Sen on May 4, the instructions cover a