Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Displaced families get new homes

Displaced families get new homes

Displaced families get new homes

RUSSEY Keo district authorities have relocated 35 families from the Tonle Sap riverside to new homes on the outskirts of the city, two years after they were made homeless by a riverbank collapse.

The families, who since the collapse have been living in makeshift structures in Sammaki village, Russey Keo commune, were presented with new brick homes in Dangkor district on Friday.

“We took them and their possessions to their new homes and provided house keys to them as well,” said Russey Keo commune chief Chan Samnang. The new homes, in Tuol Sambo village, each measure 4 by 8 metres, she said.

Hem Soklim, a representative of the families, said the community was glad to receive the new homes.

“We are very happy.... We almost can’t believe that we will receive brick homes, because we have waited for more than two years since our homes collapsed into the river,” he said.

Before departing for Tuol Sambo on Friday, 14-year-old Mak Chantha, who was plunged into the water when his house collapsed in 2008, said he was also happy to move off the unstable riverside land.

“I don’t want to live in my old house with the ruined tent roof,” he said.

But other residents say the threat of riverbank collapses could be used as a pretext to evict hundreds of families along the Tonle Sap who have been ordered to make way for a planned public park. Huot Danin, a representative from Klaing Saing village, also in Russey Keo commune, said the situation of that village was uncertain in advance of a municipal deadline looming today.

“Currently, we are very worried because the deadline that the authorities have set for us to pull down our houses is coming on Monday,” he said.

But Russey Keo district governor Khlaing Huot said yesterday that the deadline would be pushed back until he receives new orders from Phnom Penh Governor Kep Chuktema.

“Currently, we won’t take any measures for their homes until we receive new regulations from City Hall,” he said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Government hits back at threats to pull EBA, suspend UN seat

    The spokesman for the ruling Cambodian People’s Party (CPP) has said the government is in no way concerned after the European Parliament gave it three months to reverse what it called the “systematic repression of the political opposition”. Ignoring the ultimatum could mean facing

  • Chinese influx pushing locals, Westerners out of Preah Sihanouk

    Some within the Kingdom’s tourism industry have speculated that the recent influx of Chinese visitors may hinder domestic tourism as the price of accommodations in the coastal city of Sihanoukville continues to rise. Preah Sihanouk province, which has become a hotbed for Chinese investment

  • Sar Kheng: Sokha requested security

    Interior Minister Sar Kheng on Sunday revealed the story behind the transfer of former opposition party leader Kem Sokha from Trapaing Phlong prison in Tbong Khmum province to his house in the capital. Speaking at the ruling Cambodian People’s Party (CPP) headquarters in Prey

  • Chinese living in Kingdom more than doubles since ’17

    The number of Chinese nationals living in Cambodia this year has increased to more than 210,000. The figure rose from last year’s 100,000, the newly appointed Secretary of State Sok Phal confirmed yesterday. He said: “Of the 210,000, more than 78,000 are living in Preah Sihanouk [province], but