Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Dispute over number held for disseminating fake news



Dispute over number held for disseminating fake news

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
According to a Facebook post by NGO Licadho, several Cambodians have been arrested for sharing rumours on social media, even if they shared the information through private messages. Police

Dispute over number held for disseminating fake news

THE National police told The Post that nine people were sent to court for sharing fake news about Covid-19 infections, while NGO Licadho claimed 19 people were arrested, 13 of whom were released.

National Police spokesman Chhay Kim Khoeun told The Post on Tuesday that it is on the hunt for one more person involved in sharing fake news.

On Monday, Licadho posted on Facebook that several Cambodians had been arrested for sharing rumours on social media, even if they shared the information through private messages.

According to the Facebook post, the users either pledged to stop spreading “government-labelled” fake news or were charged and sent to pre-trial detention.

“From January 30 until now, we have found 19 cases. Among them, six suspects were detained and 13 others were released,” said Am Sam Ath, the deputy director of monitoring at Licadho. He said all six accused were former Cambodia National Rescue Party (CNRP) activists.

Sam Ath said the cloud of uncertainty over Covid-19 has led some to post their theories online. Sometimes, such theories could be considered fake news and deemed a threat to society.

“These arrests could be construed as restricting freedom of expression. This is not a good option. The good thing to do would be to educate people about Covid-19 with real information. Make sure that they understand, so they can cooperate in preventing its spread,” he said.

Ministry of Interior spokesman Khieu Sopheak told The Post on Tuesday that the suspects were sent to court for further legal action. Sopheak referred to them as opportunists taking advantages of the outbreak to promote their political party and criticise the government.

“Everyone is worried and cooperating to prevent this virus, [but] these people took the opportunity to promote propaganda, so let’s give the court the privilege of making a decision,” he said.

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Kingdom one of safest to visit in Covid-19 era’

    The Ministry of Tourism on January 12 proclaimed Cambodia as one of the safest countries to visit in light of the Kingdom having been ranked number one in the world by the Senegalese Economic Prospective Bureau for its success in handling the Covid-19 pandemic. In rankings

  • Ministry mulls ASEAN+3 travel bubble

    The Ministry of Tourism plans to launch a travel bubble allowing transit between Cambodia and 12 other regional countries in a bid to resuscitate the tourism sector amid crushing impact of the ongoing spread of Covid-19, Ministry of Tourism spokesman Top Sopheak told The Post on

  • Kingdom accepts Chinese vaccine, PM first to get jab

    Prime Minister Hun Sen said China would offer Cambodia an immediate donation of one million doses of the Covid-19 vaccine produced by the Sinopharm company. In an audio message addressing the public on the night of January 15, he said Cambodia has accepted the offer and

  • Reeling in Cambodia’s real estate sector

    A new norm sets the scene but risks continue to play out in the background A cold wind sweeps through the streets of Boeung Trabek on an early January morning as buyers and traders engage in commerce under bright blue skies. From a distance, the

  • PM asks India for vaccine help

    Prime Minister Hun Sen is seeking assistance from India for the provision of Covid-19 vaccines as the country has produced its own vaccine which is scheduled to be rolled out to more than 300 million Indians this year. The request was made during his meeting with

  • One million Chinese Covid-19 jabs to start rolling in from February

    The government has confirmed that Covid-19 vaccines from China are set to begin arriving in Cambodia by February. This came as the Ministry of Health recorded two imported cases of Covid-19 on January 18. While calling on people to remain vigilant against the pandemic, ministry spokeswoman