Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Dispute reporter not charged

Dispute reporter not charged

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Sok Oddom, director of Rithy Sen radio station, who was accused of ‘incitement and public defamation’ for reporting on a land dispute protest in April, was released on Tuesday. FACEBOOK

Dispute reporter not charged

The director of a radio station accused of “incitement and public defamation” for reporting on a land dispute protest in April was released from the Kampong Chhnang provincial court without charge on Tuesday.

“The court released me to get documents to see the lawsuit dropped. I will be summoned to return next month. My lawyer and I will compile the necessary documentation,” Sok Oddom said after two hours of questioning by the deputy court prosecutor on Tuesday.

Oddom, the director of Rithy Sen radio station, was summoned to appear in court on April 3 for questioning after a complaint was filed by Lun Lorn, a supervisor at a company owned by local tycoon Sok Bun.

Oddom told The Post on Tuesday that he had personally covered the protest and recorded live video footage. He said villagers had told him that Bun’s private company had grabbed land belonging to 30 families and cleared 2,000ha of flooded forest belonging to the state.

“Oknha Sok Bun’s company is trying to rob people of their land without giving them suitable compensation,” Oddom reported at the time.

Lorn filed a complaint with the court following Oddom’s reporting of the protest on April 1 at Svay Chrum district’s Rolea Ba’ier commune in Kampong Chhnang province.

Provincial court spokesman Chhuon Sivin told The Post on Tuesday that provincial deputy prosecutor Long Sitha had questioned Oddom over the accusation that he had incited villagers to confront the company and had publicly defamed it.

Choeung Vannak, deputy director of the Kampong Chhnang provincial Information Department, said he had followed the case in court and found there had been no threats of arrest or intimidation made against Sok Oddom. After questioning, the court allowed him to go home.

“He is being sued for his reporting about the land dispute in Rolea Ba’ier district. The court only questioned him and there is nothing he should be worried about,” Vannak said.

Local media reported that Lorn had filed a complaint demanding $50,000 in compensation or the arrest of Oddom and a public apology.

Contact details for Lorn could not be found for comment.

Sam Chankea, Kampong Chhnang and Pursat provincial coordinator for rights group Adhoc, told The Post on Tuesday that the court action was a violation of professional journalistic practice.

“Before filing a complaint with the court, the plaintiff should have asked the radio station for a correction. If he still considered the reports inaccurate, he should have explained his side of events.

“He should not have sued a journalist at the provincial court because he was only reporting the news,” Chankea said.

Villagers in Svay Chrum commune are locked in a land dispute with the local land dispute committee addressing the issue, he added.

MOST VIEWED

  • Kingdom’s domestic milk still cannot compete with imports

    Price competition and a lack of confidence by consumers are the main reasons the dairy market cannot compete with imports, said domestic milk producers. The large displays of imported fresh milk at the Kingdom’s supermarkets present a cumbersome obstacle for local producers, they said.

  • ‘Pesticide-laden cucumbers’ kill two, poison 150 in Banteay Meanchey

    At least two youths have died and 243 others are being treated for vomiting, diarrhoea, breathing difficulties, dizziness and muscle weakness after they ate cucumbers suspected to consist of pesticides. The incident happened on Saturday, said Banteay Meanchey provincial police chief Ath Khem. He told The

  • Three dead, 13 injured in collapse at Siem Reap pagoda

    At least three people were killed and more than 10 others injured on Monday after a dining hall under construction collapsed at Prasat Kokchak pagoda in Kokchak commune, Siem Reap province. Provincial police chief Tith Narong said Military Police, soldiers and local volunteers had successfully recovered 16

  • Forest Harmony’s $18M luxury villas break ground in Kampot

    Local and French joint-venture Forest Harmony has broken ground on its $18 million “second-home” Luxury Holiday Villas project in Kampot province. Century 21 Mekong CEO and local shareholder of the project Chrek Soknim told The Post that the project will comprise 90 villa units covering 18ha on a 97

  • China Unicom enters Cambodia

    China Unicom, the country’s largest telecoms operator, has expanded into Cambodia to build optical telecommunication pathways in the Kingdom as part of the Belt and Road Initiative (BRI). The Hong Kong-listed company officially opened its China Unicom (Cambodia) subsidiary on Monday to become the

  • PP-SHV Expressway on track for completion in early 2023

    The construction of the $1.9 billion Phnom Penh-Sihanoukville Expressway, which broke ground at the end of March, is on track to be completed by early 2023, Ministry of Public Works and Transport spokesman Vasim Sorya said on Monday. The 190km high-speed highway linking the capital to the