In the first half of this year, Angkor Hospital for Children (AHC) in Siem Reap successfully raised approximately $4 million through local and international donations.

However, the hospital requires an additional $1.5 million to continue its child-focused healthcare initiatives until year-end.

The institution has been a cornerstone in the community for nearly 25 years, providing life-saving health services since 1999.

For its annual operations, AHC needs to secure around $5.5 million, shared Sin Ket Arun, the fundraising director for the hospital.

She elaborated that local contributions, including support from the Cambodian government, account for about 25 per cent of the budget. International donations make up the remaining 75 per cent.

“AHC genuinely requires ongoing support from donors of all types, such as individuals, corporate entities, and organisations, to maintain the consistency of paediatric care, as well as training programmes aimed at disease prevention in the community,” she said.

“Therefore, we strongly encourage everyone to continue their generous support either directly or via various fundraising initiatives,” Ket Arun continued.

In terms of revenue streams in 2022, the hospital’s data indicates that 34 per cent of funding came from international foundations and organisations. Another 27 per cent was contributed through overseas donors and fundraising events, while 26 per cent was collected via domestic fundraising efforts. The balance was accrued through various other hospital activities.

Ket Arun mentioned that monthly donations tend to vary but on average, the hospital requires around $450,000 for its monthly operational costs.

“Our financial intake this year is better compared to the previous year. Nonetheless, we still urge the public to continue in supporting us to achieve our objectives,” she noted.

A review of the medical records for 2022 reveals the extent of the hospital’s outreach. The team of healthcare professionals carried out examinations for almost 98,000 children in outpatient departments and specialised services.

Among these were more than 1,400 cases of severe illness and in excess of 12,000 surgical procedures.