Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Doors of dam closing



Doors of dam closing

Homes in Stung Treng’s Srekor village lay dismantled in anticipation of the flooding caused by the Lower Sesan II dam.
Homes in Stung Treng’s Srekor village lay dismantled in anticipation of the flooding caused by the Lower Sesan II dam. Eliah Lillis

Doors of dam closing

More than 100 households in Srekor and Kbal Romea communes will be forced to brace for flooding when the doors of the Lower Sesan II dam are closed in Stung Treng province next month.

The villagers, among them Lao and ethnic Phnong people, have so far rejected compensation offers to relocate and are now at risk of being submerged.

According to Stung Treng Provincial Deputy Governor Duong Pov, the doors will be shut for a month from July 15 to August 15 to conduct a technical test.

“The test involves filling the reservoir with water to examine how effective it is,” he said.

Pov added that the test is part of the preparation for the official closure of the dam’s doors on September 25, when 1 of 5 turbines will start operations.

The 400-megawatt hydropower project has been under construction for over three years and promises to boost the Kingdom’s electricity supply, lower costs and spur development.

But opponents fear the project could destroy local ecosystems and threaten the traditional livelihoods of the Phnong indigenous people.

Kbal Romea community representative Dam Samnang, who knew about the closure only through social media, said the authorities did not inform the 58 affected families in his commune about the oncoming inundation.

“It is a serious breach of human rights,” he said.

According to Pov, motorboats and 100 officials will be employed to assist the 121 households that are refusing to leave their homes, which are located upstream of the dam, when the flood begins.

“[Authorities] have already prepared to help them [but] whether or not they believe in us is their own issue,” he said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Would you like fries with that? US burger chain makes Phnom Penh debut

    California-based The Habit Burger Grill restaurant chain is all set to serve up a delicious array of charbroiled burgers and sides at its newest international location in the centre of Phnom Penh. The Habit is “renowned for its award-winning Charburgers grilled over an open flame,

  • Phnom Penh underpass opens to ease traffic

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has announced a temporary opening of the 488m underpass at the Chaom Chao roundabout in Phnom Penh’s Por Sen Chey district, which was recently completed to connect traffic from National Road 4 to Russian Federation Blvd. The move is to reduce

  • Banteay Meanchey flood victims receive aid

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Wednesday provided aid to more than 10,000 families affected by flooding in Banteay Meanchey province’s Mongkol Borei district and offered his condolences to the 18 victims who drowned in the province over the past week. He said flooding had occured in

  • ‘No chance Cambodia booted out of ASEAN’

    A group of former and current Cambodian diplomats on Tuesday fired back at retired Singaporean diplomat Bihalari Kausikan after he proposed that ASEAN dismiss Cambodia and Laos from the bloc. In an open letter, the Cambodian diplomats said Kausikan’s remarks were made from a

  • Woman seeks answers after arrest of American partner

    Filipina Lalaine de Guzman, 48, is demanding answers for the detention of her American partner by Cambodian immigration officers after he was arrested at their home almost 90 days ago. She said without an arrest warrant or proffering any criminal charges, Stephen Sidney Greatsinger, 56, is being detained

  • PM urges caution as Polish man tests positive for Covid

    The Ministry of Health on Wednesday reported that a 47-year-old Polish man tested positive for Covid-19 after arriving in Cambodia on Monday. There are a total of six Covid-19 patients currently in the country, all of whom are being treated at the Khmer-Soviet Friendship Hospital