Subscribe Search

Search form

Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Dredgers ‘pledge’ to wait on gov’t

Dredgers ‘pledge’ to wait on gov’t

Dredgers ‘pledge’ to wait on gov’t

The Ministry of Mines and Energy has said that it will perform environmental, social and economic impact assessments within three to six months before renewing and granting new licences for sand dredgers and sand miners operating in Phnom Penh and Kandal.

Speaking at a press conference yesterday following a closed-door meeting with 30 sand dredging firms based in the two provinces, Dit Tina, a secretary of state at the ministry, said that those operators still dredging despite expired licences have agreed to halt operations until the government completes the renewal process. He added that companies with expired credentials who met with the ministry will also allow the government to place a “seal” on their equipment to ensure their cooperation.

“The seal will be produced soon by the technical group,” Tina said. “It will break if a machine starts dredging. Our groups will monitor [the machines] . . . until the impact assessment is finished and licences are issued.”

After the meeting, most of the dredgers in attendance refused to speak with reporters. However, Muong Sao Khon, of Kandal- and Prey Veng-based Phal Khmer Development, claimed he suspended his business after his licence expired in 2011 and has felt the financial effects as a result. Still, he said that he had little recourse but to wait for a new licence to be issued.

“We have no choice, but we hope that the institutions concerned follow the law,” he said.

Currently, for Phnom Penh and Kandal, only the Sok Tieng company, based in Kandal’s Sa’ang district, has an up-to-date dredging license, while 18 companies are licensed to mine sand, Tina said.

The ministry also called on the public to help prevent illegal dredging by calling a special hotline at 727, or sending an SMS through the WhatsApp messenger service at 095 727 727.


  • Kak Channthy, Cambodian Space Project frontwoman, killed in crash at 38 [Updated]

    Updated 5:05pm, Tuesday, March 20, 2018 Kak Channthy, frontwoman of popular The Cambodian Space Project, was killed Tuesday morning in a traffic accident in Phnom Penh. She was 38. Channthy, the internationally recognised singer-songwriter also known as “Srey Thy”, was reportedly travelling in a tuk-tuk on the city's

  • Australians protest Asean summit visit by PM Hun Sen

    Hundreds of protesters gathered in Sydney’s Hyde Park on Friday to protest against Cambodian strongman Hun Sen, who claimed to have been gifted millions of dollars by the Australian government ahead of a special Asean summit this weekend. An estimated 300 protesters, the majority of

  • Phnom Penh smothered in smelly, dangerous haze as landfill fire continues burning

    A putrid haze that has bedeviled Phnom Penh since Monday night will likely continue as a landfill in Dangkao district continued to burn on Friday, creating health risks for the capital's residents. Workers at the Dangkao landfill on site on Friday attributed the fire, which

  • Australian police investigating death threat against Kem Ley's widow

    Australian authorities on Thursday confirmed they have launched an investigation into a crudely written death threat sent to the family of slain political analyst Kem Ley and Victoria state MP Hong Lim. The typed letter, reported to Victoria Police last week, appears to be written