Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Drinkers accidently use acid as a mixer

Drinkers accidently use acid as a mixer

Drinkers accidently use acid as a mixer

Two men were sent to hospital when they mistakenly drank alcohol laced with battery acid in Kampot province at the weekend.

Eav Bros, 19, was drinking with Noun Da, 47, when he accidentally poured alcohol into a bowl filled with half of a litre of battery acid that he thought was water, Kampot province’s Troeuy Koh commune chief Pov Sun said yesterday. “They started to drink it together and few minutes later, they started to vomit and called someone for help,” Pov Sun said, adding that the acid was weak and their injuries appeared to be non-life threatening.

“I forgot that I kept acid that I took from a battery in the silver water bowl [the night before],” Eav Bros said from the hospital yesterday

He said that about two minutes after he drank the concoction he started to vomit blood and called for help from his relatives.

“They sent us to the hospital and the doctors helped us very much. I don’t know when I can leave the hospital because I still have a sore throat,” Eav Bros said, adding that he will have monthly check-ups with his doctor until he is deemed healthy.

The doctors helped us ... I don’t know when I can leave hospital because I still have a sore throat

Dr Chhoy Chhung, director of Kampot provincial referral hospital, said yesterday that more tests needed to be done. “Their health is good now, but we need to follow up [on their conditions] because acidic substances can affect them in the future,” he said.
Dr Horng Lairapo, medical and legal manager at the Cambodian Acid Survivors Charity, said yesterday that he would follow up on the case.  

“The doctors have to check up on their health at least once a week in order to make sure that their health is normal because we cannot know the results in the short term,” he said.

There have been four incidents involving acid reported at the Cambodian Acid Survivor Charity so far this year.  A draft law on acid regulations was submitted to the Council of Minister in late March.

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Kingdom lacks up to 400MW in available electricity’

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has called on the general public, hoteliers and businesspeople with generators to use them as back-up as the Electricity Authority of Cambodia cannot generate enough electricity to meet needs due to low water levels in power station reservoirs. On Saturday evening

  • Sor Chandeth defends his criticism of Hun Sen

    Former senator Sor Chandeth has defended his choice of words when criticising Hun Sen, saying he was merely speaking metaphorically to attack the Prime Minister’s political life, not his actual person, as the latter seeks damages. [img] Chandeth spoke to The Post on Thursday,

  • South Korea’s Moon arrives in Kingdom for state visit

    South Korean president Moon Jae-in and his wife arrived in Phnom Penh on Thursday at the start of a three-day state visit to Cambodia to strengthen ties and further the friendship between the two countries. After arriving at the Phnom Penh International Airport in the

  • Youths band together to clean ‘filthy’ Boeung Trabek canal

    Inspired by their affection for the environment, a desire to have a clean and beautiful city, and wanting to send a message to people to stop littering, a group of some two dozen volunteer youths have taken to picking up trash day and night from